We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st visit to Galveston

Kingsport, Tennessee
Level Contributor
97 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
1st visit to Galveston

Our family has just exchanged one of our timeshare weeks for a week in Galveston. We have never been to Texas and are ready for something new and different. Our kids will be 18 & 15 (boys) and we are staying at the Escapes Resort. We will be there mid August 07. I know I am jumping the gun a little but I am a planner.

I was hoping for some good ideas on what to do around the area or where else we could wonder. Taking a small road trip is not out of the question. I was thinking we might head up to Austin for a night.

Any ideas would be great.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,248 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st visit to Galveston

In Galveston, obviously the beach and Schlitterbahn. The historical area is nice, if y'all are into history. There is also Seawolf Park, a submarine you can climb around in.

About an hour from Galveston is Houston and its surroundings. On the way from Galveston you will pass NASA/Johnson Space Center, you can visit and take tours. Not far from NASA is the Battleship Texas and San Jacinto State Historic Site and Monument, this is where Texas won its independece from Mexico, and also the Port of Houston.

Houston has all the typical museums and some unique ones, perfoming arts, ballparks,etc.

Austin would be quite a road trip for one night. From Galveston it would probably be about a 4-5 hour drive. There is alot to see and do in Austin and the hill country, and so you may want to save that for another trip or extend your vacation time.

www.galveston.com and www.houston-guide.com both have good information to help you plan your trip.

Welcome to Texas!!

Houston
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st visit to Galveston

Boys that age would enjoy the beach, Schlitterbahn, not a lot of entertainment for kids in the evening. Might see what is showing at the IMAX at Moody Gardens then.

The strand shopping area is fun.

If you go to NASA Johnson Space Center, you might also want to try the Kemah Boardwalk for lunch - on the bay and has a few amusement rides that boys that age might like. The aquarium restaurant has a stingray exhibit (where you can feed the stingrays) that teens seem to like. You don't have to eat at the Aquarium to purchase admission to their stingray area.

3. Re: 1st visit to Galveston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:23 am, August 23, 2009