We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring break March 8-15 2015.. Help me decide please!

Keller, Texas
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Spring break March 8-15 2015.. Help me decide please!

We were offered a great beach front house in Crystal Beach, I like it would be quieter than Galveston and being spring break, a good thing! Problem is, we are super worried about the water temperature in early march and weather in general. This is second spweek of March. To wait for June increases pricing by 600.00 a week! So naturally we like spring break better....please, ISLANDERS especially , weigh in your advise!

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,815 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spring break March 8-15 2015.. Help me decide please!

Water temps are usually still in mid 60's F, so if you're used to water that cool, you'll be ok. Otherwise, by June, water temps rise to high 70's-low 80's, with air temps in high 80's-low 90's. Galveston and Crystal Beach have high season during the summer, but Spring Break is an absolute zoo in Galveston itself.

No need to do anything else on the duplicate posting...TravelAdvisor will remove it erelong.

Keller, Texas
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spring break March 8-15 2015.. Help me decide please!

Not really used to any water temps, as we are usually mountain vacationers, but kids want beaches. We were just in Galveston 2 weeks ago, water super warm, almost too warm lol, of course it's hot bit we have a large umbrella..I'd rather go in March for the outside temps, but am worried the teens and 6 yr old won't be able to get in the water. Is Bolivar/ crystal beach quieter during spring break.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,815 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spring break March 8-15 2015.. Help me decide please!

If you were in Galveston in mid-June, water temps were probably already near their max of mid-80's. If you're used to swimming in mountain lakes, you'll be fine swimming in Gulf of Mexico in March, although it's too cold for most Texans.

While Bolivar Peninsula and its beaches may be somewhat lively, they'll certainly be quieter than Galveston itself. I've never spent time on Crystal Beach, but would imagine it would be the quietest of the three. Getting to Bolivar can be a hassle going through Galveston, as the line for the ferry can end up costing you several hours, depending upon when you arrive to get in line.

Good luck.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,207 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spring break March 8-15 2015.. Help me decide please!

My experience is that the kids don't notice the cold water, they just want the water. the kids will be fine, it's the adults who will feel the cool water.

Prices during Spring Break can be very expensive also

Keller, Texas
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spring break March 8-15 2015.. Help me decide please!

House are actually up to half off in March lol, that's why I'm so concerned they know something we done!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spring break March 8-15 2015.. Help me decide please!

What they may know that you may not, is that the weather in March can be very unpredictable. Some years during Spring Break it's warm and sunny, so even if the water is cold, you can enjoy the beach and splashing around in the water. Some years it's rainy and cold. The average high in March is 69 degrees. We don't know where you are coming from, so that could feel really nice or you may feel like that's freezing.

Level Contributor
240 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spring break March 8-15 2015.. Help me decide please!

Do you think rates are really discounted from Summer or have they just not posted their Spring Break 2015 rates yet? Spring Break rates are usually equal to summer rates in that area.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,207 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spring break March 8-15 2015.. Help me decide please!

They probably haven't posted rates yet. I would book that rate, if they go up you should be locked in, but get that in writing. If you see the rate drop, ask for price adjustment. Book while the rate seems low and before it get sold out on you.

Keller, Texas
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spring break March 8-15 2015.. Help me decide please!

Nope I have firm offers on beach front much much cheaper than summer rates, infact most I see are giving me winter rates, that is why I'm asking if it's to cold...I'd rather spend less time, or stay in a smaller condo then spending all spring break freezing our butts off and hearing complaints lol

Keller, Texas
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spring break March 8-15 2015.. Help me decide please!

Avg temp 69... Or avg high temp 69... If it's just an avg that's ok since it's avg the nights too. I'm from tx so I'm used to what any other Texan is used to lol