We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galveston cruise port to Houston GB

Which Galveston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
567 posts
84 reviews
Galveston cruise port to Houston GB

Hi, we are 4 aussies (with 4 suitcases) needing to get from the Galveston cruise port to Houston GB in order to get a flight out early afternoon for New Orleans. Can anyone tell me the most reliable and cheapest way to do this? We can catch the shuttle bus organised by Carnival but that would mean we can't get on a plane until 4:30pm as Carnival says not to book a flight before 1:30pm and that is the next flight out after 1:30pm. If we could be in Houston ready to catch the 1:00pm plane that would be fantastic. Any ideas please friendly people? How long will it take to get from Galveston to Houston? Any solution MUST be reliable as there is no point in trying to beat the shuttle if the organised transfer doesn't show. Thanks heaps.

Vidor, Texas
Level Contributor
467 posts
43 reviews
1. Re: Galveston cruise port to Houston GB

By Houston GB I assume you are talking about IAH, Houston International Airport with some guys name thrown in? There have been lots of posts from people looking for transportation between the Galveston port and Houston, try the search box. Have also read on some posts about checking cruisecritic.com, not sure if they will have that info. Texas is really behind on public, well known transport for tourists. Also, an Aussie with only one piece of luggage? Have you not been shopping yet? Maybe I am use to the Aussie's from the Hawaii forum who seem to get some massive retail therapy in Hawaii! Hope someone can answer this a lot better for you.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
3,915 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: Galveston cruise port to Houston GB

Two things you can try. There is one branch of Enterprise rental cars located on Galveston Island. You can look into how much a one way rental of a vehicle to IAH would cost--make sure you pay close attention to any drop off fees for picking up in one location and dropping off in the other. Once you get onto the causeway bridge in Galveston, the drive to IAH is highway driving all the way, so no worries about driving on the opposite side of the road--everybody will be going in your direction. The car rental return facility is not at a terminal at IAH--it is on the edge of the airport property. After you drop off the car you take a shuttle bus to your terminal. Make sure you allow time for that.

You could also look into Super Shuttle and see what they might have in the way of scheduled pick-ups.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
304 reviews
3. Re: Galveston cruise port to Houston GB

We have used a private limo driver (in your case he'd bring a Suburban or equivalent) for about 6-7 years--very reliable. I believe the charge would be around $210 plus gratuity, but you'd need to contact him. If you're interested, please send me a private message, and I'll give you all contact info. He would meet you at port, handle all your luggage, drive you to your gate at IAH (George Bush Intercontinental Airport), and probably do the entire trip in under 80 minutes, but you'd need to speak with him.

G'day!

Edited: 2:21 pm, July 06, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
567 posts
84 reviews
4. Re: Galveston cruise port to Houston GB

GSDrulez, yes I mean IAH, sorry for the confusion. Yes, only one piece of luggage each! haha We are seasoned travellers and will have been on the road 5 weeks by the time we get off the cruise. Having been a month in Italy where roads are narrow we can only have a relatively small car in order to get around. By the time we leave the States we will have busted out to another bag each LOL We put one inside the other so we already have them. After we get off the cruise we have another 3 weeks in the USA so still need to travel relatively lightly so we can get the bags in the car - bummer! Yes, I have been reading but it all seems to talk about the other direction but I guess it is much of a muchness.

TxOffWeGo, we are OK driving on the other side of the road. This is our 4th trip to USA and my husband is fine with the driving. I am a bit nervous about getting a hire car back if we have booked our flights. We had a very bad experience once out of San Francisco where we literally camped outside the booking office for almost 5 hours before we managed to get a car out of them. Ridiculous! If that was from Galveston to Houston we would have missed our plane. I'll have a look at SuperShuttle...

G'day GeneT, thanks for your offer. I'll send you a PM and contact him to get a quote.

We still have a bit of time yet to organise everything but I like to get all my ducks in a row ;)

Thanks everyone for your help. Gotta love travelliing - life doesn't get much better than this :)

California
Level Contributor
281 posts
46 reviews
5. Re: Galveston cruise port to Houston GB

Unfortunately from the info I have gathered Enterprise is the only rental location near the port and they will no longer do a one way rental to the airport- I called and asked.

You can probably make a 1:30 flight as cruise critic has that exact post on it right now and someone was trying to make a noon flight. The consensus is do the self assit disembarkation (meaning you take your own luggage off) So you can leave right away. I was looking at a 12:30 flight from Hobbby and if you can be one of the first off 90% of the time it is doable. My problem was doing it with toddlers and not taking off my own luggage...

Houston, TX
6 posts
6. Re: Galveston cruise port to Houston GB

I am not sure if this is too late or not, but I think it might be easier if you can fly out of Houston Hobby Airport. It's on the south side of Houston, so you won't have to travel as much as you would if you were flying out of IAH. After checking on Orbitz, I see that there are several flights from Hobby to New Orleans, even though most of them have a stop in between. I am not sure how you can arrange a ride from the cruise port to the airport, but this is something to maybe look at. Have a great time in the US!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
567 posts
84 reviews
7. Re: Galveston cruise port to Houston GB

Thank you once again for your assistance. Much appreciated!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Galveston cruise port to Houston GB

Well the first thing is in Houston there are 2 airport, the large one is Intercontinental Airport of Houston (IAH) is about 75 minutes drive to Galveston, and Hobby Airport (HOU) which is about 45 minutes drive from Galveston, so it you have a choice fly to Hobby airport because you will save money and time, for transfer to the Cruise Terminal, cruise line have their own transfers, if you time does not allowed you to take their bus, you can use Galveston shuttle, they are a private shuttle, I believe, (not a shared ride), their price are very reasonable, and they provide you cars based on your group counts. their number is 803-258-0798 or http://galveston-shuttle.com. there is also Galveston Limousine which have a shared ride in the mornings only, at 8:00 AM, 10:00 AM, and 1:30 PM. their number is 409-744-5466 or http://www.galvestonlimousineservice.com, there are also other limousine companies based in Houston that offer the transfers at different prices.

Houston, Texas
5 posts
9. Re: Galveston cruise port to Houston GB

My wife is a cruise addict and she has been traveling for a number of years with great results with HoustonLimousine.com and they offer competitive prices and good service. They will go the extra mile to make sure your cruise experience is great.

1 post
10. Re: Galveston cruise port to Houston GB

Does anyone want to share a ride with my husband, son and I on 8-24-14 from Houston/Bush to Galveston Port. Our plane arrives in Houston at noon. Thanks.