We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is a car needed?

Which Galveston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Clio, Michigan
Level Contributor
184 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Is a car needed?

My husband and I plan on vacationing in Galveston this May. It will be the first time we have ever been to Texas. Please let me know if a car is needed to get around Galveston, is everything as far as attractions, restaurants within walking distance?

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,092 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is a car needed?

There used to be a trolley, but it was damaged in the 2008 Hurricane.

I would recommend a car, just so you can travel at your leisure and schedule.

The Strand has restaurants and a few attractions within walking distance. The Seawall is another area with things within walking distance.

Moody Gardens/Schlitterbahn is another direction, but you could walk between these two.

Then there are the historical districts that are between the Strand and Seawall. Also in this area you can do a self-driving tour of the tree sculptures, that were designed from the trees that were killed by Hurricane Ike in 2008. http://www.galveston.com/treesculpturetour/

ps...The first and last weekends of May (may 4-5 and may 25-27) are extremely busy with Cinco de Mayo the first weekend and Memorial Day the latter. Memorial Day also has crazy expensive hotels rates, so if you can, shoot for between these times.

Welcome to Galveston!!

Clio, Michigan
Level Contributor
184 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is a car needed?

thank you for your quick response. Would you recommend staying in one area of Galveston over another? We are in our later 50's.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,092 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is a car needed?

I like the seawall just because of the views. Plus, most hotels are located there, and all price ranges.

The Strand has 2 hotels and I think there are B&B's located thruout the island.

You may get some good rates during the middle of the month. High season starts Memorial Day weekend.

4. Re: Is a car needed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, February 03, 2014