We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best beach in Texas?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
The best beach in Texas?

Hello,

We have never been to Texas before and we would love to visit the shore in April..hope it will be warm enough..

What is the place to go? Clean beach, not too quiet, good restaurants..

Please help

T.

Orange
Level Contributor
69 posts
37 reviews
1. Re: The best beach in Texas?

As far as water quality, would have to say South Padre Island. However, Galveston beaches are nice but the mighty Mississippi muddies the water. As far as restaurants and things to do, i think Galveston has more

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,426 posts
149 reviews
2. Re: The best beach in Texas?

I agree with the points listed above. There is so much to see and do in Galveston to keep you busy, but the waters and sand are not the prettiest.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
3. Re: The best beach in Texas?

Thank you very much! We will consider it. As you are Houston expert, would you please recommend places we should not miss there?

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
198 reviews
4. Re: The best beach in Texas?

We had a family vacation to South Padre Island once. Has a great beach. Water temperature about perfect. Plenty of good places to eat on the island and across the causeway in Port Isabel. We had a fun day trip to Brownsville and across the Rio Grande, but Matamoros may be dicey these days from what I've read. April weather is usually ideal, but no guarantee of that.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,426 posts
149 reviews
5. Re: The best beach in Texas?

Some of our favorites:

Schlitterbahn waterpark

The Strand Historic District- shops, restaurants mostly. Be sure to stop at La Kings Confectionary for an old-time fountain shop experience.

Ferry ride across Bolivar Peninsula, you can drive or walk on. If you drive, visit the lighthouse and the old Ft Travis grounds. The peninsula took a direct hit from Hurricane Ike a few years ago, but things are looking good there.

Bishop's Palace and Moody Mansion. Ashton Villa is still not open. These are beautiful buildings and very impressive.

Seawolf Park, if y'all are interested in an old submarine and destroyer.

The Tree Sculpture Tour is interesting and fun http://www.galveston.com/treesculptures/

You can also pick up a ghost tour on The Strand, interesting information. You will hear of the UTMB Ghost on the UTMB building. Be warned... do not take a picture of this image, just take a look.....bad things happen. I am not superstitous, but took a pic and am a believer now!

Just lounging on the beach

Moody Gardens is popular, but I think it's just over-rated and expensive.

At the Pier 21 Theater, there is a film on the Great 1900 storm that wiped out Galveston. It's interesting and worth the time. Explains how important the seawall has been since they built it just after that storm.

Also near there is the Texas Seaport Museum and tall ship Elissa if that is an interest.

galveston.com for more information of the island

Welcome to Texas!!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
77 reviews
6. Re: The best beach in Texas?

I like the beach at Port Aransas. The drive to South Padre is a killer, IMO. You drive forever it seems.

Port Aransas is on a small island connected by a large bridge or a ferry from Corpus Christi. It's a tourist town with motels, hotels, restaurants and souvenir shops.

I love Galveston because it's a shorter drive with lots to do. I must say Port A has prettier color water and is lots of fun.

Edited: 5:06 pm, March 18, 2012
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
7. Re: The best beach in Texas?

Wow, thank you so much! We can`t wait! This vacation will be awesome..now I`m really glad we have decided for Texas instead of Florida! Thank you

Frisco, TX
Level Contributor
346 posts
45 reviews
8. Re: The best beach in Texas?

I used to vacation in S Padre every summer, but decided to do something different so we went to Gulf Shores, AL. No more S Padre, Gulf Shores is so much nicer. S Padre has a lot of things to do, don't get me wrong, but let me warn you, if you don't like to hear blaring hispanic music, you might want to pick Galveston or Gulf Shores. With Brownsville only 30 minutes away & Matamoros, Mexico right there, other then Spring Break weekend, hispanics are in abundance more then they used to.

South Padre--gray sand, usually merky water

Gulf Shores--white sand beaches and clear blue water

Send me a message if you want more info. I moved here from colorado years ago.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
9. Re: The best beach in Texas?

Thank you for answer! We are going to Galveston in 4 weeks and we can`t wait.

We would be happy for any advice, as locals know the best! We have a vacation once a year, so we want to enjoy as much as possible.

If you find few minutes, I would be glad for more info!

T.

TT

Orange
Level Contributor
69 posts
37 reviews
10. Re: The best beach in Texas?

A couple other things of interest within 30 min driving distance:

www.kemahboardwalk.com restaurants and coasters

www.spacecenter.org Johnson Spacecenter