We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has Galveston Recovered?

Which Galveston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
25 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Has Galveston Recovered?

Hello,

We're considering a trip to Galveston within the year but we have some concerns about what shape it's in at this point. My husband flew over it recently and thought it still looked like a lot if damage remained. Anybody have any advice to share about this?

Orange
Level Contributor
68 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has Galveston Recovered?

Galveston has rebounded quite well. Most of the eateries and other businesses are back. There are only a handful of vacant properties on the seawall. Both Moody Gardens and Schlitterbaun are fully operational. The Strand area has most of it's business back. With a new Pleasure Pier being built and finished in May, I would say Galveston is coming back better than ever. I wouldn't hesitate to book a trip

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
191 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has Galveston Recovered?

I agree! We have a beach house in Galveston and are constantly saying we cannot believe how much the island has recovered and actually looks better! People rebuilt and really fixed up their homes and businesses. Many of the old huge oaks were damaged so an artist carved the trunks and now there is a tree sculpture tour around some of the most beautiful historic homes near the Strand. http://www.galveston.com/treesculptures/ They turned sadness into beauty as far as I am concerned and I love driving and looking at them and the comeback. I cannot wait to see the Pleasure Pier finished, although it's sad to not see the Flagship Hotel there. Check out Galveston.com for events and things! Have a blast!

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,119 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has Galveston Recovered?

3rd vote for Galveston. It's worth the trip!!

Kilgore, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has Galveston Recovered?

I thought it was amazing and really loved it! We were amazed how well they recovered. Although Ike was 3 1/2 years ago, it can take time for some cities to recover from a hurricane but Galveston has done exceptionally well!

austin
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Has Galveston Recovered?

Glad to hear that the island is in full revival. We're looking forward to a long weekend this June. Hotel rates we've checked are definitely reflecting high season on a popular destination!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,312 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has Galveston Recovered?

Wow! Tks Sharon for mentioning the new Pleasure Pier. I live near Austin and I had not heard about it. I Googled it and found this ABC News video:

abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story…

I had heard rumors a year or more ago that the Landry's wanted to do that. I have been wanting another trip to Galveston and I'm a senior citizen now and will stay at the beautiful Galvez because that will probably be my last drive/trip to Galveston. This new Pier has sealed the deal. I'll go in the Fall.

For all you Newbies to Galveston Google Pleasure Pier. What a great asset to Galveston!

Tks also for the website showing the tree sculptures. That's so cool. Bastrop did similar things with trees that burned in the fires.

Texas
Level Contributor
210 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has Galveston Recovered?

If you fly over Galveston and towards the East along the coast you will see some areas that weren't rebuilt yet. Like the far end of East Beach and some of the residential areas where there's legal stuff going on over whether or not to rebuild.

If you're there as a tourist you'll hardly notice there ever was a storm.

Nacogdoches, Texas
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Has Galveston Recovered?

I would also like to add to make sure you investigate where you are staying on the Seawall as the Hotels further down on the West End have not had the beaches direclty across from them repaired yet and you will have to drive further down to the East (or walk ) to enjoy the beach. So, If you want to be able to walk directly across the Sea Wall to the beach from you Hotel I would check into anything West of 61st Street where the Casa Del Mar is. Not sure exactly where the repaired beaches end from there.

9. Re: Has Galveston Recovered?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:43 am, June 18, 2013