We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring Break with kids in Galveston?

Granger, Iowa
Level Contributor
28 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Spring Break with kids in Galveston?

Our tropical vacation plans are being derailed because my husband has a conference in Houston the week of spring break. I thought of Galveston as a possible vacation spot as an alternative. I have never been to the Texas coast & have no idea what to expect. Our kids love to swim. We'd love to have dolphin interactions. My husband loves to scuba dive. We'd love a catamarran cruise. I don't know if these things are possible in Galveston at all, let alone in March. We'd want to stay at a family friendly resort with lots of activities. Is this do-able or should we scratch the idea at this time?

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
217 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Spring Break with kids in Galveston?

Go to Walmart on 69th at the Sea Wall and buy some kites, sidewalk chalk, buckets, shovels, boogie boards, bubbles, etc. Kids love drawing on the seawall and flying kites on the beach. You can fish off the jetties and crab. There's a Putt Putt on the Sea Wall http://www.galveston.com/magiccarpetgolf/ and double benched bikes to rent. Dip-n-dots closed but they have them at Moody Gardens and also a playground at the back near the Colonel Paddle Wheel. On the Strand, there is an old fashioned candy shop and Chocolate Factory. In front of the cruise ships is Joe's Crabshack and you can walk on the piers and see the shrimpboats and fishermen unloading...also buy some shrimp to boil! Last weekend it was cold, today we have the a/c on! I hope you have a fun spring break with the kids!

12. Re: Spring Break with kids in Galveston?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:08 am, March 11, 2013
HOUSTON
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Spring Break with kids in Galveston?

Hi there. There are several things you can do in Galveston that are family friendly. There is the new Pleasure Pier which has carnival rides, restaurants, and other activities. The Bolivar Ferry is free and you most likely will see some dolphins. I would walk on board and stay on board for the return ride to your car. Much faster and less hassle. There are several nice hotels along the seawall. Depends on how much you want to spend per night. Of course, there are tons of restaurants all along the seawall for miles. Take your pick! For the kids, Moody Gardens is great. The also have a hotel but it is pricey. Take the kids to seawolf park. It's free. They have a submarine and park area with swings and slides. There are lots of family friendly attractions in Galveston. Hope this helps you guys. Have fun.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Spring Break with kids in Galveston?

Look for a hotel that has a heated pool-the surf hasn't warmed up yet, and unheated pools would be icy.

Yes, Galveston is an old city, and parts look run down. Don't let that put you off coming. There are tons of things to do for families.

Kemah, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
15. Re: Spring Break with kids in Galveston?

You can also rent a Catamaran in Kemah or do a dinner cruise with Star Fleet Cruises - starfleetyachts.com/public-cruises/…

16. Re: Spring Break with kids in Galveston?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 08, 2014