We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mermaid and the Dolphin

texas
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mermaid and the Dolphin

I took my wife there for our anniversary and was extremely disappointed.

We got there about 15 minutes before check in closed. We were rushed through check in and we never saw the lady again, even the next morning. This was in December and the whole house was freezing. I do not recommend using the fireplace as they are not vented, the whole room filled with carbon monoxide.

We went down the next morning and there was no breakfast and no one around.

When I spend this kind of money for a room I expect to be treated better than what we were.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
447 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mermaid and the Dolphin

I really think one post is enough to voice your disdain and I question the reason to wait until now when you trip was in December.

Edited: 1:22 pm, March 25, 2011
texas
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Mermaid and the Dolphin

The extra posts were by accident and I didn't where I could delete them. I complained to Mermaid and got no answer. I got an e-mail from trip adviser today and that made me think about this incident all over again.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
447 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mermaid and the Dolphin

Sorry for your poor experience. Hopefully other aspects of your anniversary trip to Galveston were better.

Edited: 1:42 pm, March 25, 2011
Massachusetts
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mermaid and the Dolphin

Oddly enough, we were there on March 24-25 2011 (when the replys to Rmillera1were posted), and experienced the same attitude expressed by Rmillera1. We were there exactly at check in time and were rushed through the check in as they were. It seemed we were interupting the check in person, who never gave us her name. "indifferent" does not begin to cover the situation. The restaurant menus offered were several years old, the check in person had no tourist information, but did "research" and found the address of the tourist information center a few hours after we inquired (it is just down the street but she said she was more familiar with Houston). The hot tub was unappealing as the cover was torn and shabby. Breakfast is evidently served only on weekends, the website is not clear on this, and the response was huffy when we questioned this. No spa, no bar as shown on the website (converted to an office) no internet. Never saw anyone from management after the first few hours. Could go on and on but, overpriced, and not customer friendly.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mermaid and the Dolphin

My husband booked our anniversary trip to the Mermaid and Dolphin. The building is nice and the room was pretty. We were greeted promptly by someone. However, we were disappointed with several of the amenities and for the amount of money we spent, I expected better. The jacuzzi was just like a big bathtub. The bubbles were non-existent and there was no one to talk to about it. The tv screen in our room was about the size of my iPad screen and because of the rain it would have been nice to watch a movie in the room. The internet was spotty and didn't work at all the last two days of our visit. The breakfast was not very good and only served on Saturday and Sunday. Enjoyed the history of the city, but wouldn't stay at this location again.

6. Re: Mermaid and the Dolphin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, July 19, 2013