We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things for teenagers to do in Galveston?

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Things for teenagers to do in Galveston?

we reserved a week at the Escapes to galveston from march 20th to 27th of this year, I was hoping with it being spring break time frame there would be fun things to do like parasailing and bannana boat rides and jet skiing, but so far online all I have found to do is an air boat tour and the water park. We were hoping for some adventurious things to do with our 14 and 16 year old boys since we are leaving out 1 and 4 year olds with their grandparents, but all i'm finding is shopping and museums, flying kites, sand castles and searching for sea shells which would be better for the younger kids. As a military family we don't get many vacations when my husband is not deployed, but I have a feeling our teenagers are going to be dissapointed that I picked Galveston.

I'm hoping someone knows the area and could tell me if there are some fun things to do with teenagers who don't want to take scenic tours or trolley rides, they were interested in the sea turtle tour but the website says that it is closed due to the oil slick.

thanx so much for any help!

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,235 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things for teenagers to do in Galveston?

SeaWolf Park has a submarine and a frigate that you can walk on and thru.

Not too far from Galveston is the Battleship Texas, which you can walk thru and is very interesting. March is a perfect time for either of these attractions.

Kemah Boardwalk has a small amusement park.

Hope this will get you started.

Galveston
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things for teenagers to do in Galveston?

Galveston is not known for extreme sports, such as you are describing. There are no banana boat rides or parasailing. The Island is known more for it's history, architecture, and of course, the beach. That being said, there are jet ski rentals that work right off the beach - I've seen them in different locations, so I imagine you just have to look for them. Or maybe they would like to try surfing? http://www.ohanasurfandskate.com/ gives lessons, but the water is still pretty cold in March . They may like the airboat tour, and Schlitterbahn is pretty popular. There is a miniature golf course, and ghost tours, and boat tours that are a lot of fun. I don't think there is a lack of things to do for kids that age, but they're just not "sporty" type things like you are looking for.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,541 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things for teenagers to do in Galveston?

BananaE29 is spot on. Other "spring break areas," particularly South Padre Island cater to the college crowds and extreme thrills (including extreme drinking.)

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,400 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things for teenagers to do in Galveston?

Agree with everyone else; it sound like Padre is more your speed than Galveston. Padre is more party crowd, and Galveston is more families and neat history and architecture. We've done a dolphin tour that was neat, and you can shop on the Strand, definitely go to the Kemah Boardwalk - they have one of those fast boats called the Boardwalk Beast and they also have a big roller coaster there and games and rides; I would think the kids would enjoy Moody Gardens too. There's also the Johnson Space Center.

http://kemahboardwalk.com/

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things for teenagers to do in Galveston?

thanx so much everyone for the great information. I agree San Padre Island would have been more of what we were looking for but it was an additional 7 hours away so we booked Galveston :) I think we will still have a great time and try out the air boat and dolphin tour, as suggested try out Seawolf park, and Segcity and the Kemah boardwalk sounds like alot of fun too.

thanx again

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,400 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things for teenagers to do in Galveston?

If you go to Kemah, there are water sports at Clear Lake. Here's one link I found if you want to check it out. They have wave runners and things like that.

http://www.watersportsclearlake.com/

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,082 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things for teenagers to do in Galveston?

I would imagine teenaged boys would enjoy surfing. Google surfing schools in Galveston and I bet you will get some good options. I always see the surfing school tables set up by the old Flagship Hotel. There must be a good break there, because that's where the surfers usually base themselves.

There is also a kayaking trip that I found last summer that was really neat.

Minneapolis...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Things for teenagers to do in Galveston?

Carribean Breeze rents sea kayaks and you can load them on your car and go to the State Park where they have paddle trails (or just go around the bay). I would NOT recommend the airboat ride. It is incredibly loud - like being next to a jet engine. Plus they go where they KNOW they are not supposed to - into the state park - and wreck up all the marsh reclamation work. Operating like that is illegal, but the rangers can't catch them because they speed out again. Don't support the airboat tours.

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things for teenagers to do in Galveston?

thanx for the info about the airboat tours, we had decided not to do it already because when I called to reserve the guy on the phone said it wasn't $35 like all the websites say he has raised it to $45, so even though all 6 of us would fit in one boat they wanted to charge us $270 plus tax so $289 just for the one boat ride...if I had known that they go places they are not supposed to go ruining the marsh lands I wouldn't have even thought about going there.

We are all excited to go, we all decided to do the seg city segway 2 hour tour around galveston, the teenage boys thought that would be alot of fun, we also plan on doing the dolpihin tour that runs off the strand one of the afternoons, we are also going to the turtle research facility during the open house and the indoor waterpark. We are going to check out the Kemah boardwalk, I also found on groupon paint balling in houston, i'm not looking forward to that one but this vacation is for the boys so i'm just gonna have to suck it up and hope they don't shoot me too much LOL and also a day to go to the Ke now if only gas prices would have cooperated with me :) but it will be worth it.

nrh
Magnolia, Texas
Level Contributor
422 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things for teenagers to do in Galveston?

I have 2 teenage boys (16 and 17) and they both enjoy Moody Gardens, Schlitterbahn, night fishing, and, probably most of all, ROLLERBLADING on the Seawall. They also have a great time in the water on skim boards and boogie boards. Last summer, we saw quite a few people down on the west end sitting in some sort of contraption that was anchored to the beach on the bottom and to an enormous kite on the top. I haven't had the chance to research rentals/lessons yet, but my kids won't let me forget about how much they want to try it!!