We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

central hotels: space centre

canada
1 post
Save Topic
central hotels: space centre

Were a couple girls in our eary 40's going to Galveston Feb 17 and 18. We were wondering if anyone could recommend a hotel (nothing fancy) that is in a good location to make it easy to see all the sites of the island.

.......also does anyone know if there are tours that will take you to the space centre from Galveston?

Galveston Historic Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
614 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: central hotels: space centre

Are you planning to attend the Galveston Mardi Gras? It starts on February 17th so lots of hotel space is already booked. If you want to go to Mardi Gras, the best area to stay would be the Strand area. But most hotels in that area will be a bit more expensive. The Tremont House is an historic hotel that is in the Strand district.

The space center is about 35 or so minutes from Galveston. The only tours that I know of are companies that take groups to the space center from Galveston. I don't know of any regularly scheduled tours. You might try inquiring through the visitor's bureau website--galveston.com.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,331 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: central hotels: space centre

Look at www.galveston.com for general information.

Some good hotel in the Strand District, would be the Wyndham Tremont Hotel. This area has lots of shopping and historical sites nearby. If you wanted to be closer to the beach, the San Luis, Hilton, Hotel Galvaz are some to look at. There is also Moody Gardens Hotel, which is in its own entertainment complex, though a drive away from the center of Galveston.

The waters will not be warm in Galveston, if you are planning to swim.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
614 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: central hotels: space centre

Are you planning to attend the Galveston Mardi Gras? It starts on February 17th so lots of hotel space is already booked. If you want to go to Mardi Gras, the best area to stay would be the Strand area. But most hotels in that area will be a bit more expensive. The Tremont House is an historic hotel that is in the Strand district.

The space center is about 35 or so minutes from Galveston. The only tours that I know of are companies that take groups to the space center from Galveston. I don't know of any regularly scheduled tours. You might try inquiring through the visitor's bureau website--galveston.com.