We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Considering a late winter vacation

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,970 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Considering a late winter vacation

We are in Chicago where the temp will top off at 16 today with 4 inches of snow. Looking to get away in March.

Galveston came up on a tv show and the Lady and I talked about it. We both enjoy the quiet beaches but I appreciate the night life and get antsy after a while. She just likes the quiet time. I am more of an explorer and history nut than she.

We are both accomplished boaters, mainly sail, and active in the USCG Aux. (PE, VE, SAR) so the water in important. We both enjoy snorkeling. From past vacations, we prefer little structure to our trips. We are working folks neither rich nor broke but on a budget. Planned time away is perhaps a week.

A friend suggsted that we fly into Dallas and rent a car and explore the several hundred miles of coast line south perhaps into Mexico, but I am concerned that it would be a lot of driving, more work than play.

What I think worked for us was when we vacationed in Ft Myers Beach last year, walking a few blocks to the right was empty beach and a state park and the same distance to the left brought us to the part of town busy with shops and nightlife.

We are open to suggestions.

Bliss Lounge
Bars & Clubs, Dance Clubs & Discos, Wine Bars
knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Considering a late winter vacation

Several things to advise you of.

First, the waters here are nothing like Florida, except maybe South Padre Island area. The waters in Galveston, and probably everything north of SPI, will be brown. You would not find any snorkeling fun in this area!

You would not want to start your drive from Dallas, to get to the ocean. I think your friend meant Houston, or some other coastal area. Dallas is about a 4 hour drive north of Houston.

Any coastal area will be busy during March, due to Spring Break, especially popular is SPI. This is something to think about when planning, if crowded places with kids/teens/college students is something you want to avoid.

Otherwise, there are plenty of accomodation options in Galveston. Most hotels are across the Seawall from the beaches, others are a drive. If you want on the beach, you need to look into a beach house or SeaScape condos. The Flagship Hotel sits directly over the water.

Some nice places on the Seawall would be the Hilton, the San Luis Hotel, Wyndham Hotel Galvez, the Victorian condos, Comfort Inn and Suites. In the Strand District, the Tremont House, I believe is a Wyndham property. Also, there is Moody Gardens Hotel in the Moody Gardens area with lots of entertaining things to do.

For more info on Galveston, check www.galveston.com

Hope this helps with some basics.

Get answers to your questions about Galveston