We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crab fishing at Galveston, TX

dallas
5 posts
Crab fishing at Galveston, TX

My family will go to Galveston, TX. in next week. Once I hear they can catch crab easily at Galveston. Is this true?

Could some one tell us how, where and when to catch crab. We don't eat crab, but love to catch some, take some pictures and returned them home.

Thank you

Beaumont, Texas USA
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Crab fishing at Galveston, TX

Hello, neonfish, and welcome to the forum!

You can catch crab just about anywhere in the coastal area that you find salt or brackish water. Likely places are the banks of canals or bays, and from piers. Ask the locals for the best places! Just use lots of mosquito repellent, and be on the lookout for snakes.

Here's what you do (This is from the Texas Parks and Wildlife website.):

One of the easiest ways to catch crabs is with fish heads or chicken necks tied to a piece of strong twine about 10 feet long or long enough to reach the bay bottom. Place the baited line in water from a pier, bank, or boat and wait until a crab grabs it. When there is a pull on the end, the string is slowly retrieved until the crab is seen. A net is used to dip it out, but the crab cannot be allowed to come out of the water because it will release the bait. Patience is the key!

The website is here:

…state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/bluecrab/

Also see this page with regulations regarding the size of legal crabs, etc.:

…state.tx.us/publications/…headerbar

Have fun!

dallas
5 posts
2. Re: Crab fishing at Galveston, TX

Thank you very much.

nrh
Magnolia, Texas
Level Contributor
422 posts
40 reviews
3. Re: Crab fishing at Galveston, TX

Thanks, Deb...you beat me to it! :)

Neonfish,

I'd also add that while you'll catch blue crabs by the gobs the way described above, if all you really want to do is look at crabs you can see them too and there is another common kind.

All (or most) or the little holes you'll see walking along the beaches belong to Sally Lightfoot crabs. They are smaller and much more shy than their blue crab cousins. If you camp out next to one of the holes and wait patiently you'll be rewarded with a visit from a very small, very pale (sand colored) crab visitor.

You also want to watch out for the pinchers of the hermit crabs when you're collecting shells on the beach! The bigger and more well preserved the shell you find...the more likely it is to have an occupant!

Enjoy your hunt!

Best wishes and Happy travels,

Naomi

dallas
5 posts
4. Re: Crab fishing at Galveston, TX

LonghornDeb and Magnolia,

Thank you so much for the advises.

We love the feeling of catching the fish. Thingking the same if we can catch a crab: A lots of screaming, jumping, staring, etc..., it'll be fun. Clean,cook and eat crab required skills which we did not have much. Will post pictures if we get a crab, if no picture you know what happen :)

It is very much appreciated!!!

Beaumont, Texas USA
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Crab fishing at Galveston, TX

Hope you have a great time, neonfish!

And one more suggestion:

If you enjoy looking at sea creatures (even if not catching them!) you might want to visit the Aquarium Pyramid at Moody Gardens. In Galveston, this attraction has been the favorite of several of my out-of-area guests! It's not an inexpensive ticket (adults $15.95, kids and seniors $2 off)... but can provide hours of fun -- and you'll be out of the summer heat, too!

http://www.moodygardens.com/

Happy Travels!

texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Crab fishing at Galveston, TX

Be sure to check to see where crabbing is allowed. They should be easily caught on chicken parts. As a child, I used to catch them this way. Just tie a chicken neck to some stout string and drop it off the pier or jetty, but be patient and have a dip net ready. They will sometimes let go when out of the water. Happy Crabbing!

7. Re: Crab fishing at Galveston, TX

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 06, 2010