We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go in Texas

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Where to go in Texas

Hi,

We are travelling to Texas in August for 2 weeks with our 6 year old daughter from the UK. We fly into Dallas and want to drive down towards the coast. Can anyone recommend a child friendly area with clean beaches. We have never been to Texas before.

thanks

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
53 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Where to go in Texas

I can't disagree with anything I've seen posted here so far. If I were to plan two weeks in Texas starting and ending in Dallas I would suggest:

Houston 3-4 days including NASA which is an hour south of Houston. Houston is about a four-hour drive from Dallas.

Corpus Christi 1-2 days which is three (?) hours south of Houston. I'd focus on attractions in Corpus, not the beach.

South Padre Island 3-5 days (by far the best beaches in Texas) which is a two-hour drive from Corpus Christi. In South Padre stay on the Gulf, not the Bay side.

San Antonio for 2-4 days. That's four hours from South Padre.

Hill Country towns like Bandera or Fredericksburg which are north and west of San Antonio for 2-3 days.

From the Hill Country back to Dallas is anywhere from 3-5 hours.

Sadly there's not a lot going on in Dallas in August so you won't find much here except Texas hospitality, and that is freely distributed all across the state.

One thing that you should be aware of in August is Texas heat. Temperatures at all of these areas except the beaches will probably be in the range of 90 - 100 degrees F (32 - 38 C). While Houston won't be quite that hot, the humidity will be excessive. I wouldn't avoid any outdoor activities, but definitely have some contingency plans if the heat becomes a problem and drink lots of water.

Hope that helps.

"If you come by, stop and say Hi. If you can't stop, wave."

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
184 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Where to go in Texas

The good thing about both Dallas and Houston is that everything is air conditioned. Also, most activities for the big cities are inside. I agree if you like beaches South Padre is the place to go.

US
Level Contributor
22 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Where to go in Texas

Your options for Texas travel depend on how far you want to drive. This is not England - nothing is close by, and you must drive or fly to get anywhere. That being said, plan your itinerary accordingly.

The best beaches in the state are at South Padre Island, at the extreme southern tip of the state near Mexico (9-10 hours drive from Dallas). The farther north you go, the browner the water gets, primarily due to Mississippi River sediment brought in by the currents. Keep in mind none of the beaches in Texas are particularly memorable, and will not likely rank amongst the best you've ever seen.

Galveston is a decent beach town with an excellent array of family-oriented activities. It is about a 5 hour drive from Dallas. Aside from the usual beach-related restaurants, shops, and activities, there is a nice complex called Moody Gardens which includes an indoor rain forest, aquarium, and children's museum. Nearby is an aviation museum and a small waterpark. There is also a historic Victorian-era downtown with shopping and dining options.

In Houston, the NASA space center is about the only thing worth seeing. Most everything else in Houston is redundant to Dallas. The space center is along I-45 on the way to Galveston, about 30 mins from the island. A nice 3-day itinerary with a young child would be to drive to Galveston, enjoy the beach and other activities, and stop at NASA along the way for 5-6 hours.

If you choose to go to San Antonio, you have a few options. Austin is a nice city, but doesn't offer much to a tourist beyond nightlife. The hill country is mildly scenic, and you might hit a 2nd-rate winery at best. About 30 mins south of Austin along I-35 is San Marcos, which has a massive shopping center. If you'd like to do some name-brand shopping at decent prices, this is the place to do it.

San Antonio's centerpiece is the Riverwalk, which is a series of canals downtown that are lined with shops and restaurants. This area is scenic, but will only take a couple of hours to see. The Alamo and its shopping district are walking distance from the Riverwalk, and will require a total of around an hour of your time.

In San Antonio, there is a Sea World marine wildlife park, a Six Flags amusement park, and a large waterpark called Schlitterbahn, all of which are family-friendly activities.

Corpus Christi is a further 2 hours south from San Antonio on I-37. It doesn't offer much except decent beaches and an aquarium.

If you'd like, you can make a decent 5-day itinerary out of the I-35/37 corridor to include shopping, sightseeing, theme parks, and the beach.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
276 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Where to go in Texas

Hi! Welcome to Texas! Texas is very hot in the summer and can be very dry. I mean really hot! So be prepared. A/C, sunblock, water, etc. The locals are either inside or in water in August. We can get up to 100+.

Texas is not just a big state, but a huge state. It takes a day to drive out of it for us down south. So, when you say you will drive, get ready! If you are interested in the beach, I would fly into Houston, San Antonio, or Corpus. There are actual flights down to McAllen, Brownsville to get to South Padre Island (Southwest airlines) You could stay in the DFW area than catch a flight on Southwest to South Padre.

I guess I just want you to know that the beach from Dallas is not a hop skip and jump.

I live in San Antonio and there is tons to do with family here. Sea World is here, Fiesta Texas theme park. there is a profound Mexican flavor to this city.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Where to go in Texas

Hi thanks for that San Antonio seems to be recommended quite a lot so I think we will be coming down that way. Is there a resort hotel that you could recommend around there with childrens facilities. (eg kids clubs) Many thanks

16. Re: Where to go in Texas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, September 24, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Galveston