We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go in Texas

Which Galveston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Where to go in Texas

Hi,

We are travelling to Texas in August for 2 weeks with our 6 year old daughter from the UK. We fly into Dallas and want to drive down towards the coast. Can anyone recommend a child friendly area with clean beaches. We have never been to Texas before.

thanks

Houston
Level Contributor
174 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go in Texas

If you are thinking about Galveston, one of the better places for you and your family will be Moody Gardens. They bring in their own white sand and have blue lagoons for water play. Otherwise, you will have to deal with the brown sand of Galveston and the muddy ocean water.

http://www.moodygardens.com/

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go in Texas

Hi thanks for that. So do you think there are better places to go rather than Galveston?

Houston
Level Contributor
174 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go in Texas

Where are you flying into? Are you set on a beach experience or are you just looking for a family-oriented place?

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,070 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go in Texas

The beaches down by South Padre Island have the clearer, bluer waters.

You might want to read up on some of the other posts about the beaches at SPI, Corpus Christi or Port Aransas to see how the beaches were. There was a post on Galveston recently about glass being in the sand at several Galveston beaches.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,574 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go in Texas

We prefer Port Aransas to Galveston. The water in Galveston is just too brown for me. I know many people like it, but I like the water to be a little more clear than that. However, Galveston would be the shorter drive from Dallas. You could visit the NASA space center on your way.

It would take about 7 hours to get to Port Aransas from Dallas. From Port Aransas you can also visit Padre Island National Seashore, the prettiest beach we thought in that particular area. You can take a dolphin watching tour that is fun. And Corpus Christi is about 30 minutes away from Port Aransas. The USS Lexington there is worth a tour and they have some good restaurants.

South Padre Island supposedly has the prettiest water and beach in Texas. It would be about a 9 hour drive from Dallas.

Another area you might consider is San Antonio. We love it there. Plenty to do and see, lots of great food, etc. It really depends on what you're interested in though.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go in Texas

Thanks we are flying into Dallas and picking a car up so we have no set route yet. But my daughter loves the beach so we would like to stop there for a couple of days. We are looking to stop most nights at a different place and have been advised that San Antonio is worth a 4 night stop over.

Houston
Level Contributor
174 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go in Texas

San Antonio is a great place to visit. It's very unique having the riverwalk and the Mexican flair. My only problem is that, to me, it's more for the adults and your daughter might not be as interested. However, there is Seaworld close and that's a great day for the family.

Since I'm a native Houstonian, I like to push our lovely city as often as I can. There is a museum in Houston that your daughter would love called The Children's Museum. It's a hands-on experience and kids of ALL ages flock to it every day. You can look it up at http://www.cmhouston.org/

There is also the Houston Zoo, http://www.houstonzoo.org/ that is wonderful. They have spent millions over the past few years to update, renovate and improve the zoo. It makes for a fun day.

In the same park, Hermann Park, that houses the zoo there is a miniature train that I remember riding as a child. It was closed for a year to renovate and has recently reopened. It is a great ride for the kiddos. There is also a small lake in the park where you can rent pedal boats and the children can fish. You can find all of the information at http://www.hermannpark.org/

Another great idea is to visit Nasa. There's a LOT of things to see and learn about and a lot of hands-on exhibits for everyone, not just the children. http://www.spacecenter.org/

Oh, there's SO much more! If you want or need more information let me know. Hope this has helped.

Houston
Level Contributor
174 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go in Texas

I just got back from the bookstore looking for travel books for my next vacation in June and found a book you might be interested in purchasing. It's called 100+ Activities for Houston Kids. I thumbed through it and found it very interesting.

…barnesandnoble.com/100-Activities-for-Houst…

It might be worth your money to buy it.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go in Texas

wow that's great info thank you. We will definately add Houston to the trip and thanks for the book tip. We will definately be purchasing it. Kind regards

Houston
Level Contributor
174 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to go in Texas

I don't know why I didn't think to suggest to you what I suggested to "Brits Visiting Texas". It's a GREAT typical Texas trip and you all will walk away feeling you really tasted Texas.

Make a drive to to Bandera, which is in the Hill Country, and stay at Dixie Dude Ranch. http://www.dixieduderanch.com/

My family has vacationed here since the 1940s, starting with my mom when she was a young girl. We have rented the whole ranch for family reunions. Dixie Dude is such a great place.

You stay in rustic cabins, enjoy 3 large-as-Texas meals freshly prepare by 2 women who have worked for the ranch for many, many years. There's a large pool and hot tub, twice a day slow and meandering horseback rides, walks with the family labs, play with the kittens and cats, visit with the other guests on the wrap-around porch on the main lodge or whatever makes you happy. You are treated like family and it will be one of the most memorable stays on your trip.

I wrote a post to "Brits Visit Texas" explaining a little more about Dixie Dude, so you might want to read my post to them.

This is true 100% Texas so you might as well get a little taste while on your visit.