We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mesquitos?

midwest
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mesquitos?

We will be in Galveston in July for the first time. I have heard that there are a lot of mequitos this time of year, is that true? We will be on the gulf side, is that any better. Also, we will be traveling with a 2 years old and a 77 year old. anyone have any suggestions on activities that would interest them?

Houston
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mesquitos?

Mosquitos...the national bird of Texas! Bring your insect repellant...you'll be fine!

The Strand is worth a look. Lots of shopping and good eating. LaKings Candy Factory has always been a hit with my kids and it is a neat place to grab an icecream and rest. There is also a Railroad Museum in that area that families tend to enjoy.

Check out Moody Gardens as well (www.moodygardens.com).

Mentioned in this post
Galveston Railroad Museum
Galveston Railroad Museum
459 Reviews
Galveston Island, TX
Moody Gardens
Moody Gardens
2,147 Reviews
Galveston Island, TX
Houston, TX
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
496 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mesquitos?

The count on mosquitos just depends on the rain that happened a week or so before you arrive. Really rainy = more of the critters.

Get some good repellent (look for deet in the ingredients) and you should be fine. Course my mother-in-law uses repellent and claims she's still too sweet cause the little buggers follow her.

If you can avoid being outside around sunset/dusk, then you'll be avoiding the worst time of day.

Additionally, you can be sure to put long sleeves/pants on everyone as that can help keep the bites down. Just be sure to make it a very light weight material as July has the dreaded combination of high temperatures and high humidity (which boost the heat index right up). Currently its 91 outside, but with 54% humidity it feels like 99.

Hooks, Texas
Level Contributor
199 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mesquitos?

Was there last weekend and didn't see a mesquito one. Must be too dry. We took repellant and never used them. We stayed on the beach and there was always a stiff breeze so maybe that has something to do with it also.

midwest
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mesquitos?

thanks for the info, I'll keep it all in mind.

Houston
Level Contributor
16 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mesquitos?

No rain this year equals no mosquitoes so far. However, watch out the first time we do get rain!