We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week in galveston- need some ideas

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
1 week in galveston- need some ideas

My friend and I, and our 2 kids, are visiting Galveston next week. We have looked online and found lots of places to visit. I am looking for Galveston's best kept secret...something non touristy locations or restaurants. Any ideas?

we are in our early 40's with 13 years old and 4 year old.

Houston
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 week in galveston- need some ideas

Hi,

I live just north of Galveston in League City. Galveston is small enough that you can explore it, and find what you would like in a matter of hours. By the time that you get there, there will not be a whole lot of tourist there. Except for maybe Moody Gardens.

The Strand is a must do. If you like shops and such.

I hope you enjoy your trip...

David

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 week in galveston- need some ideas

mosquito cafe has a wonderful brunch on saturdays and sundays.

colonel bubbie's, down near the strand, is a really neat store. its one of the last authentic government army surplus stores. you could spend hours looking around!

murdock's bathhouse and the mermaid pier are both fun souvenir shops that I've visited and enjoyed since I was a kid

Fullen's Waterwall Bar off of the strand has some of the best burgers and a really charming atmosphere.

Houston
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 week in galveston- need some ideas

Try pic's on 45th great restaurant, Salt Water Grill, Rudy and Pacos

houston, tx
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 week in galveston- need some ideas

Luigi's on the Strand has the best food on the island. Rudy and Paco's can be a bit snobbish and the food is not that good. Saltwater Grill - average at best and when busy your head will spin from the noise. Pics on 45th..limited menu -- but OK.

We live in Houston and have a condo on the beach in Galveton so we are in and out of town often. Spent 2 days there last week.

Ghost tours seem to be all the rage now.....

Walking the beach is a must. And a ferry ride to boliver would be fun for the kids.

Otherwise, just get outside and enjoy the salt and sea air. Hope weather cooperates and that you enjoy.

5. Re: 1 week in galveston- need some ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, September 11, 2009