We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bugs in the Fall?

Which Fredericksburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
126 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Bugs in the Fall?

We have booked a cottage in Stonewall and I understand it is in a country setting, but I wanted to know if anyone has noticed an extreme amount of bugs in the Fall? We booked a cottage in Oklahoma a few years back and the whole outside of the cottage was swarming with bugs that continued to find their way inside, we also noticed this same problem during the Fall in Iowa.

Texas
Level Contributor
126 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bugs in the Fall?

How is the grasshopper situation this year, I know they were abundant during the drought last year?

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,662 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bugs in the Fall?

shouldn¨t be any real problem ...there are bat colonies in the hill country that help keep a large area of the insect population in check

Edited: 5:25 pm, July 22, 2012
Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
42 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bugs in the Fall?

I live between Stonewall and Fredericksburg in the country. This has been an unusual year for outside critters- but Fall is usually pretty mild re: bugs. My advice to you for anytime of the year is this: don't wear open toe sandals outside, ever, in the country. Wear tennis shoes or boots, or shoes with socks. You won't have to worry about mosquitos or roaches around here- we rarely have mosquitos unless it rains. Country settings are apt to have more outdoor bugs - like spiders, scorpions, grasshoppers, etc. Bats do help keep the bug population down. If the drought continues, we will probably have more grasshoppers than normal... Most of the bugs here would rather NOT be around people, generally hide under rocks or in holes in the ground. Kick a rock over before you pick it up - if you leave lights on outside at night, request the yellow bulbs that don't attract flying insects... should be fine. Fall is beautiful here, and bugs, like other outdoor creatures, help preserve our balance in nature....

Texas
Level Contributor
126 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bugs in the Fall?

Looks like we will be staying right by you...we are staying at Rose Hill Manor in Stonewall. Thank you for all the great info.

5. Re: Bugs in the Fall?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 09, 2013