We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off the beaten path

Which Fredericksburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
136 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Off the beaten path

Will be returning to fredricksburg area week of April 10-17th. Have been there on more than one occasion and have done most if not all of the touristy stuff. Looking for small towns, saloons, diners, antiques/junk/stuff shops, ecentric stops along the way within hours drive of town. The funkier the better. Plan on doing alot of bluebonnet viewing so i know i will be driving off in several directions. Thanks for ideas. Richard in Iowa.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,392 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Off the beaten path

Fredricksburg Trade Days is the weekend after your visit. http://www.fbgtradedays.com/

Not knowing what you've actually done, here's a list:

Luckenbach,

Enchanted Rock State Park

Old Tunnel Wildlife Management Area …state.tx.us/huntwild/…

Stonewall has a funky antique store

The Benini Studio and Sculpture Ranch www.sculptureranch.com/ is way cool

Johnson City has a great Art Gallery Kirchman Art Gallery http://www.tastewineart.com/home.html

Pedernales Falls State Park …state.tx.us/spdest/…

The Exotic Resort Zoo www.zooexotics.com/

Comfort Texas has lots of shops

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Off the beaten path

Have you been to Boerne, Wimberley, and/or Luckenbach? All are within a very nice and somewhat scenic drive. I love Dodging Duck Brewhaus in Boerne, Wimberley Brewing Company and Brewsters Pizza in Wimberley, and just being in Luckenbach. If you like wine, I also highly recommend Driftwood Vineyards. Great wines and a lovely setting with views of the Hill Country. Dutchman Family Winery and Trattoria Lisiana, also in Driftwood, are both lovely, as well.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
136 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Off the beaten path

went to camp in my growing up days in wimberley - jacobs well and the blue hole come to mind. thanks for tips. sound right down our alley. rcs

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
136 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Off the beaten path

thanks. have done a few of these things but some are new to me and will check out. rcs

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,284 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Off the beaten path

Marble Falls..nice shops...the infamous BlueBonnet Cafe since 1929

mile high meringue pies

bluebonnetcafe.net

Crownover Feed Store next door is worth a look

Round Mountain Cajun Food/owners from New Orleans

fredericksburg-fun.com/nff/2008/2/2/the-real…

6. Re: Off the beaten path

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:42 am, June 20, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Fredericksburg