We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bluebonnet time

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
136 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
bluebonnet time

heading to fredricksburg april 14-17th. coming in from fort worth. wanting to get feel for good routes to drive for bluebonnet viewing. realize that rain or lack of it has much to do with blooming season, but any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bluebonnet time

Coming from Ft. Worth, get over to Hwy 281 and drive down to Johnson City then take 290W to Fredericksburg. It's a much prettier drive than I35. In a good Spring, we'll have wildflowers scattered along practically every road in the Hill Country as well as the rest of the state. The experts are saying this won't be one, but we'll see'll see. Here's a link to a recent thread with info tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28964-i75-k427869… The Willow Loop to the North of Fredericksburg is a popular drive. Here's a map link http://www.wildflowerhaven.com/routes.aspx Note the other map links on that page including around Burnet which is on 281.

Edited: 9:30 am, March 05, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Fredericksburg Hill Country Hotel
Fredericksburg Hill...
143 Reviews
Fredericksburg, TX
Burnet
Burnet
Texas
Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bluebonnet time

Last spring there was a lot of rain and some of the roadsides were practically hallucinogenic with color. This year, we'll just have to see. The wildflowers will certainly bloom, but the intensity and duration will depend on the weather.

I drive on hwy 71 through Llano a lot and thats a good place too for seeing the wildflowers.

Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
42 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bluebonnet time

As a resident, I will share our favorite drives near Fredericksburg: From Main Street, take Hwy 16 to Willow City. Drive the Willow City Loop, which comes back out on Hwy 16. Turn right, drive towards Llano, taking a detour to drive 965 towards Enchanted Rock. The drive to Llano on hwy 16 is also spectacular with wildflowers.

As the other's mentioned, we'll see how this season goes..we need rain. But the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower center says that our temperatures matter as much, and with the cold winter to keep the brush down, the wildflowers have a good chance...

Mentioned in this post
Main Street
Main Street
1,636 Reviews
Fredericksburg, TX
Willow City Loop
Willow City Loop
383 Reviews
Fredericksburg, TX
Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
136 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bluebonnet time

thanks for update. info is helpful and encouraging. richard in des moines

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,175 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bluebonnet time

How long do the Bluebonnets stay in bloom?

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
6,068 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bluebonnet time

There's a about a two week peak but they are still very pretty for about a month.

Here's a link to the TXDOT hotline number that provides info on where the best blooming areas are day-to-day.

dot.state.tx.us/travel/flora_conditions.htm

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,175 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bluebonnet time

Thanks, we had to postpone our trip during peak time next month when we realized Easter was so late. Now going the first of May.

Monroe, Louisiana
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: bluebonnet time

There aren't any flowers. They have been in a severe draught. They can't even water pots.

Don't expect to see any bluebonnets.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bluebonnet time

While the bluebonnets are not as plentiful as they were last year, we are seeing some, kzachry. I was driving along the 130 toll road last weekend and the entire median and roadsides were full of bluebonnets. I have also noticed that while the bluebonnet numbers are lower, there are more of the yellow flowers, greenthreads and primroses, I believe.

Monroe, Louisiana
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: bluebonnet time

Was there this past weekend. There are a few patches along the roads before you get to the hill country. The only flowers blooming in Fredericksburg was a patch at the wildseed farm. The lavendar was blooming at Becker Farm. They said they haven't had rain since October. Was very disappointed. Left a day early.

Mentioned in this post