We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dallas "v" Fort Worth

BJM
Derby, England
Level Contributor
293 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Dallas "v" Fort Worth

Starting to get confused as to what will be best to book. As I previously posted - taking husband on holiday for 1st week in May as a birthday surprise. He loves trains, trolleys, good food and c/w music. Originally I was thinking to stay downtown Dallas for the week and probably not hire a car (or at least not for whole week). After having looked at a guide book I am thinking is Fort Worth a more interesting place to stay and a better base as we can still visit Dallas? So opinions please:

1. Which do you think is a better base Dallas or Fort Worth?

2. If Fort Worth - is it nicer to stay in Sundance Square or stock Yard area?

3. Hotel recommendations?

4. Will it be best to have car for week?

Any help will be greatfully appreciated - I will make my mind up soon .... honest!

Keller, Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Dallas "v" Fort Worth

I agree with most posts here. Fort Worth is the better choice for what you want. I would recommend staying downtown. The Ashton hotel is a small boutique hotel that is very nice, but still quaint. Definitely go to the stockyards and eat at Joe T Garcias in that area. There is enough to keep you busy for a full day in the stock yards and downtown has quite a bit going on all the time. You also will hopefully beat the heat coming in the beginning of May.

YLW
Level Contributor
121 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Dallas "v" Fort Worth

I vote for FW, too. Stay in Sundance Square(downtown FW) as there is more to do during the day or night. But, do go to the stockyards. You could actually take a taxi to the stockyards for around $5 as it is only about 5 miles from downtown.

I would rent a car to drive to Arlington. As mentioned, the baseball games will be going on at that time and it is really easy to get to Arlington from downtown. You could spend a few days just touring downtown and stockyards.

Stockyards - Eat at Joe T's for a taste of Tex Mex, Go to Billy Bob's, which is a tourist heaven for C&W Bars, then go to the White Elephant Bar, which is a locals hangout. Lots of shops and good restaurants along Exchange St.

Downtown- So many shops, restaurant & clubs. Can't think of any hotel in downtown that would be bad if you stay around the main area and not on the outskirts. The Trinity Rail Express goes from Sundance Square to West End which is a hot spot in the downtown Dallas area. http://www.trinityrailwayexpress.org/

That would take up a day for sure.

Hope this helps

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Dallas "v" Fort Worth

Fort Worth -- definitely. Then take the train between the two cities. That way you can see both and shop in both. Downtown FW is as good as you get for a city our size. My wife and I spent a weekend in Dallas a few years ago in the best hotel in the area. Forget it. In FW you can walk to all the restaurants, bars, and entertainment venues.