We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 day trip with kids, first timer, help?

Texas
Level Contributor
82 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
2 day trip with kids, first timer, help?

Planning a trip for 2 days, beginning on August 11th and leaving the 13th. There are 5 of us, 3 adults and 2 kids ages 11 and 8. We are wanting to visit the zoo, botanical gardens, log cabin villiage and stockyards. How can we maximize our visits? How far are these places from each other? Is there a central place to book hotel and appropriate for kids? Any other places we should visit, suggestions? Thanks!

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
6,031 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 day trip with kids, first timer, help?

Nothing is far away from each other in FW. It is all fairly close together and driveable. Since you are coming in August with two kids, I am going to recommend my favorite "family friendly with a pool" spots. (There are more to choose from in both the University area and downtown Sundance Square)

TownePlace Suites Marriott is downtown, about half way between the zoo/University area and Stockyards. You can ride Molley the Trolley in the evenings to get around downtown/Sundance Square.

marriott.com/hotels/…

Holiday Inn Express is close to the zoo/park/museum area but not far from Stockyards. They have a shuttle within 3 miles- that should get you everywhere you have listed.

ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/…hoteldetail

Springhill Suites is right off of University and I-30. Almost walkable to the zoo and Log Cabin Village (too hot for me!) Very close to park/Botanical Garden and a short drive to Stockyards.

marriott.com/hotels/…

I use a site such as Expedia to see what is available where then either call the hotel directly for best rate or, if the price looks good, just use Expedia to book. I like to use Priceline but not when I am feeling particular about where I stay. If you have time, the Museum of Science and History is really good (has a planetarium if you want a night time activity) and, depending on the kids, Cowgirl Hall of Fame and Museum.

http://www.fwmuseum.org/

http://www.cowgirl.net/

Edited: 1:24 pm, June 25, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
125 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 day trip with kids, first timer, help?

The zoo and log cabins are across the street from each other and the garens are five mintes away( depending on traffic). I suggest going to the zoo first thing in the morning it is hot, hot, hot in Texas in August. The science museum is a great escape from the heat and lots of fun for the kids. Cowtown is about 10 minutes from the zoo and there is lots to do there. Check out the cattle drive held twice daily.

Texas
Level Contributor
28 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 day trip with kids, first timer, help?

Fort Worth is a wonderful city and very underrated. There is a Marriott Residence Inn Cultural District that is a bit hidden away but very nice. That would give you two rooms, a bedroom and living room. (with 5 people I would still get two units but your call) They have a pool and free breakfast. There is a Residence Inn on University as well, but the Cultural District is newer. You are still 5 minutes drive from most things and they have a shuttle as well. AS has been said it is HOT that time of year. Zoo is wonderful but go early before animals retreat from the heat. There are a wealth of museums right together. Natural science and History, Cowgirl and three Art museums(Kimball Amon Carter and Modern) and if you or your children are at all interested they are all good. Botanical Gardens has a Japanese Garden that is well worth the price of admission. It is shady and has lots of trails and ponds of Koi. Kids love it. The downtown is a fun place, with great resturants, but it depends on your kids and their palates.

If you are into Amusement parks, Arlington has 6 Flags and Wet and Wild and Rangers baseball. I think they also have a scheduled tour of Cowboy Stadium(Jerry World)

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
37 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 day trip with kids, first timer, help?

Unless you are well conditioned to the extreme heat, I would have a list of indoor activities just in case you need them. To be brutally honest, I would not do any of those activities you mentioned in August. The museums mentioned (science and cowgirl) are great. Those two could take a whole day if you do everything (including planetarium and Omni Imax). There is also a civil war museum in Ft Worth that I plan to take my kids to see this summer. If you finish with the indoor activities in Ft Worth, Legoland at Gravevine Mills mall would be fun for the kids. There is also an ice skating rink there. Uno's pizza in downtown FW is a family favorite. The kids build their own pizza, and the bread pudding is the best I've ever had.

Texas
Level Contributor
82 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 day trip with kids, first timer, help?

Thanks for all your wise information, it will help greatly!

6. Re: 2 day trip with kids, first timer, help?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 01, 2014