We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Convention Center Hotels?

Which Fort Worth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
University Place...
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Convention Center Hotels?

We're planning on attending a reunion being held at the convention center this Aug. (2006) and would like to be within walking distance of the convention center and the Raddison Hotel. Our problem is the Raddison is booked and the Plaza is being closed for remodel. I've read horror stories about Park Central and have narrowed my choices down to two choices (but open to suggestions). One is the Marriot Courtyard which appears to close in and withing walking distance. The draw backs vs. the second choice would be-price and limited parking. Our second choice would be farther out and require driving and is the La Quinta Inn and Suites at 4400 N. Freeway. The drawback there is it's driving distance, but it is cheaper and received a very high review in trip advisor. The parking situation at the Convention Center will also effect our decision. Of course the 100 plus degree heat enters into the equation.

I figure we would be using our hotel room at least twice, perhaps three times per day,in addition to sleeping, as the reunion has several periods of down time.

If anyone has any suggestions as to the best option I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank You

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Convention Center Hotels?

The traffic on I35 from the La Quinta to and from Downtown can be very heavy and unpredictable. Your average speed can be about 10 mph during rush hours.

There is a Country Inn & Suites at 2200 Mercardo, which is at I35 and Northside Dr. It is half the distance to Downtown. I once saw Loretta Lynn's tour bus parked there when she was preforming at Billy Bobs.

If the traffic is heavy on the freeway, you can take Northside Dr. to Main St. and go north for a nice easy drive to Downtown.

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Convention Center Hotels?

Typos: performing not pre, go south not north on Main St.

University Place...
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Convention Center Hotels?

Unfortunately the Country Inn appears to booked up during those dates. It certainly looked like a nice alternative. I certainly don't want to have to battle rush hour traffic, thanks for reminder. I'm assuming most of our activities will be after morning rush hour but that still leaves the rush at the end of the day Thurs. and Friday.

Is the Marriott truly within walking distance of the convention center. I just got through reading where the convention center encompasses 11 blocks. BIG!

Two other alternatives given us were the Hilton Garden Inn at 4400 N. Freeway which sounds awfully close to La Quinta and Bay Mont Inn and Suites. I given to any ideas.

Thanks so much for your help.

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Convention Center Hotels?

The Marriot is only 4 blocks from the north entrance to the Convention Center. The Downtown area is very nice, safe, and is a tourist attraction in its self. That would probably be your best bet.

There are many very nice hotels north by the La Quinta that were built after the Texas Motor Speedway was built. They will all have the 76137 zip code. The drive to downtown is a beating, but you can take the Main st. route which has a lot stop lights, but moves better than the freeway during rush hour.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,821 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Convention Center Hotels?

Considering how often you are planning to be back in your hotel room, I would definitely go with the Courtyard by Marriott. The convenience alone would be worth the additional cost.