We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tex Mex & Mexican food.

Which Dallas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
812 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Tex Mex & Mexican food.

What's the difference?

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,820 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tex Mex & Mexican food.

Lots of opinions on this one- here's mine:

Tex-Mex is a blending of Mexican food and border influences, often using more beef. For example, fajitas and flour tortillas tend to be more Tex-Mex. Mexxican or interior Mexican uses more native foods including corn tortillas, pork, chicken and seafood. Tex-Mex is less complicated, a more simple comfort type food. Border type Tex-Mex uses more pinto beans while interior Mexican leans toward the black beans.

You will find blending and inter-mingling of all types but folks definitely know what they like!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tex Mex & Mexican food.

Many of the food items that we in the US think of as Mexican are actually Texan/American in origin - fajitas, crispy tacos, chili con carne, chips and salsa, and even margaritas (supposedly invented at Mariano's here in Dallas). A waiter in Mexico told me that they had never served chips and hot sauce before a meal until it began to be requested by American tourists. The use of yellow cheese is also an indicator of Tex-Mex food since Mexican cooking uses white cheeses on their dishes.

Texas used to be part of Mexico, and has always had a large Hispanic population. This familiarity with Mexican ingredients and dishes has allowed a fusion of the two cuisines into the Tex-Mex of today. I'm sure Californians and Arizonans would argue that their food is equally as good, but I doubt it!

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
812 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tex Mex & Mexican food.

Thanks for explanation! I think I prefer the Tex Mex version!

4. Re: Tex Mex & Mexican food.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, August 26, 2009