A colleague and I will be in Irving on business. We want to see a little bit of Dallas in the evenings after our meetings. We are staying in Irving at the Staybridge Los Colinas. Obviously I am going to try to do as much research as possible before we go (Dec 18-20) but neither of us have been to Dallas before and any help planning would be welcome. A sample itinerary follows:
Monday – Our flight arrives at 4:30 pm. I thought we would drop our bags and freshen up at the hotel. We could then park near Dealey Plaza and eat a nearby texmex restaurant. After dinner we could walk around to see the Kennedy Memorial, book depository (we know it will be closed) and “the grassy knoll”.
Tuesday – We will get done with our meetings around 4 and thought we could try some barbeque. After, it would be fun to drive around to see the city or incorporate some sight seeing and walk off our dinner.
Wednesday – We are going to try to get out of the plant by early afternoon (noon or 1). We are open to any fun place to eat and some fun sight seeing or shopping before we head to the airport. I thought we would print our boarding passes at the hotel and we aren’t checking any bags so we don’t have to be at the airport until 5:15 pm to return the rental car and get through security (unless DFW is like LAX).
1. Is it safe to walk around Dealey Plaza in the early evening and is there a good (reasonably priced $10-$20) Texmex restaurant close by?
2. What if we just want to take a driving tour around? What is the best route?
3. What are some “Can’t Miss” things we should see (that are safe and can be done in the evening)?
4. We thought it might be cheesy fun to drive past “South Fork”, can that be incorporated in a driving tour?
5. Is it worth our time to drive into Fort Worth?
6. Is there a “can’t miss” barbeque restaurant we could try in Irving or close?
Thanks for the help!