We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years trip with Kids (Dallas)

south
Level Contributor
235 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
New Years trip with Kids (Dallas)

Planning a trip with kids between Christmas & New Years. Never been to Dallas. Cotton Bowl Parade New Years Eve definitely. Where to stay, what to do, where to eat, how to get around (public trans. or drive?)....... THANKS! (We love shopping, museums, theatre)

1. Re: New Years trip with Kids (Dallas)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:09 pm, January 04, 2007
Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,932 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years trip with Kids (Dallas)

Depending on your budget and age of the kids, I would recommend staying downtown. That said, you may need to book pretty fast since the parade is coming back to downtown this year- more Cotton Bowl participants may already have the downtown hotels booked. The Adolphus is really beautiful for the holidays and is often a better deal than you would might think. For a chain, we like Springhill Suites and also liked the Hyatt Regency when we stayed there. Haven't made it to the Magnolia yet but it gets good write ups.

The DART light rail can take you up to North Park Mall for some wonderful shopping. The Mall itself is gorgeous for the hoildays and has a terrific miniature train exhibit that benefits Ronald McDonald House.

The Dallas Museum of Art is beautiful as is the Nasher Sculpture Museum. Kids will like the Dallas World Aquarium near the West End.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,286 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Years trip with Kids (Dallas)

How old are the kids? If they're older then you might want to consider the Pocket Sandwich Theater's New Year's Eve Party--it tends to get rowdy, though, so wouldn't be appropriate for younger kids, but teens would love it. New Year's Eve is the opening night of a melodrama with very active audience particpation at all times and excessively so on New Years.

http://www.dallas.net/~pst/newyr07.htm

Shopping--the Galleria will be beautifully decorated and has the ice skating rink. NorthPark has had an outdoor temporary rink the last few years. NorthPark will have the Ronald McDonald train display that is really spectacular.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,912 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Years trip with Kids (Dallas)

We've spent the day of New Year's Eve at 6 Flags when it's a nice day. It's open during the holidays - and nicely decorated. You can find discounts on Coca-Cola cans.

south
Level Contributor
235 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Years trip with Kids (Dallas)

Thanks for all the helpful information so far.... keep it coming! So far, I have double booked rooms, both at Adolpus and at Hyatt Regency, and will decide closer to travel time which one to keep. I think the Pocket Sandwich Theatre for New Years would be a blast, but probably over the heads of our children. (I personally have always preferred to stay home and watch Dlck Clark's Rockin New Year's Eve...... my idea of a fun time.) About shopping..... Galleria or Northpark or both? Definitely want to skate. Can't wait!

south
Level Contributor
235 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Years trip with Kids (Dallas)

The parade route for the Cotton Bowl has been posted on attparade.com....... Downtown, Ross Avenue from the Arts District to the West End..... is either hotel (Adolphus or Hyatt) on the route? That would be most convenient. Or other hotels along the route? Thanks again....

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,932 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Years trip with Kids (Dallas)

The only hotel directly on Ross is the Fairmont. The Adolphus is about 5 blocks- the Hyatt is right by a DART station- you can hop the train and take it up to the West End, just few blocks to ride.

NorthPark Center does not have an ice rink but is a fabulous shopping experience and you can catch DART and take a trolley over to the mall.

Downtown Dallas has an ice rink in the Plaza of the Americas (Pearl St. DART rail station)- here's the website

http://www.americasicegarden.com

Galleria is also quite beautiful for the holidays but no DART rail station if you are trying to take mass transit- here's the website for skating info

www.galleriadallas.com/popups/IceRink.html

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,932 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Years trip with Kids (Dallas)

Here's a website for NorthPark Center

northparkcenter.com/events/eventscalendar.ht…

south
Level Contributor
235 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Years trip with Kids (Dallas)

Now I am wondering if we might do better staying "out" from downtown..... seems a lot of the attractions & shopping aren't downtown anyways. The Fort Worth Stockyard and Billy Bob's Texas look like they will fill a day. Question about Billy Bob's: the website indicates that it is family friendly, so I have no worries about that. Trying to decide between Thursday night line-dance lessons or Friday night bull riding. I know our family would enjoy both, but I wonder if the kids will get pushed off the dance floor? ANy experience?

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,912 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Years trip with Kids (Dallas)

How old are your kids?