We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxis

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
999 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Taxis

I can't find my post from March 4,2015 when I asked about taxi cabs & some kind person sent us a website to check what the fare would be from where we were staying to the airport. I looked up the fare & it said $25. I was a little surprised (but pleased) as we had paid more than that coming from the airport to the hotel. When we came out of the airport we were approached by a taxi driver (van) & we were so tired we just wanted to get to our hotel so I hopped in. Then I said to my husband, ask him how much & the cab driver states $17.50, which we thought was great! I had showed the driver the address of where we wanted to go & asked him if that hotel had a shuttle & he states no, so we HAD to take a cab. When we got to the hotel my husband gave the driver $20 & the driver said $17.50 per person! We were shocked & he pointed to the cab & written on the side is "shared ride". Hmmmmm....

Next morning when we left this "lovely hotel" we ended up riding with another lady who had called a cab before we got to the lobby & she asked if we wanted to go with her to the airport. She said she was told it would be $50 due to the weather. Sure enough as soon as we got in the driver said I have to charge you $50 is that ok? I asked for EACH of us & he said no, $50 for you & your husband, $50 for the other lady. This just seems soooo wrong to me on so many levels! We were just there over night as our flight was cancelled from Dallas to Toronto, so we are not familiar with the city at all. Obviously the cab drivers do not adhere to the prices quoted on the website I looked at. I'm kicking myself that I didn't write down the names of the cabs & their numbers. If we get stuck like that again I certainly will pay more attention.

We met another woman as we were registering & she said she paid $45 from the airport to the hotel. BOTH women we met stated they were told this hotel had a shuttle.

I'm just wondering if this is common practice for cab drivers?

New Mexico
Level Contributor
13,618 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxis

Here is your post:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g56032-i1041-k8262…

New Mexico
Level Contributor
13,618 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxis

and the website:

www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Dallas

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
999 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxis

Thank you!

Dallas
Level Contributor
26,702 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxis

I would sit there in the guys cab and call the taxi authority and report him while he listened. Then I might even threaten to call the police (even though they probably would not and could not do anything). Then after I ate up about a half hour of his time, I would get out of the cab and pay him nothing.

I don't take many cabs in Dallas, but I hope this is not common. But please report this to the taxi authority.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
999 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxis

Ok, I'll research who to send these issues to.

We were just so exhausted from our endeavour of cancelled flights over that past week we just wanted to get home!

Dallas
Level Contributor
3,719 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxis

" When we came out of the airport we were approached by a taxi driver (van) & we were so tired we just wanted to get to our hotel so I hopped in."

NEVER DO THIS.. ALWAYS go to the official taxi queue that can be found outside baggage claim at the airport (DFW or other).

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,815 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxis

SebastianDallas is correct. Dallas has taxi's and they have vans that operate different (fares) from taxi's because they are licensed as "shared rides". They have their own special pickup/drop sidewalk at the airport. They are not affiliated with or have same rules as taxis

8. Re: Taxis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 14, 2016