We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

relocating near DFW airport - advice please

Which Dallas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
323 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
relocating near DFW airport - advice please

My wife and I will be moving to the DFW area in the Spring. Looking for advice on communities near the DFW airport. So far, we have been looking in Colleyville, Southlake, Grapevine, Keller and Flower Mound. Our priorities are good schools, close to the airport, friendly community (I hear Southlake is a bit "stuffy"). We'd like to keep the cost below $450K. I know the property taxes in Southlake are also very high. We like Hidden Lakes community in Keller - Any advice on particular neighborhoods in these areas or suggestions of other places to look at would be great!

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: relocating near DFW airport - advice please

I live in the city and don't have a lot of experience with the suburbs, but Coppell is another highly regarded city in the area you're looking at, but didn't mention. Have you already decided against Coppell?

Texas
Level Contributor
323 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: relocating near DFW airport - advice please

no - we are actually considering Coppell as well but we have not seen it yet. How are the schools there though? Are they as good as other areas around DFW?

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: relocating near DFW airport - advice please

Lots of thoughts about schools on this forum, do peruse the other posts over the last year and you'll find lots of information.

Heathrow, Florida
Level Contributor
117 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: relocating near DFW airport - advice please

We live in town as well or "private school land" as someone recently referred to it. Several years ago when the private school tuitions really took off, tons of families moved to Coppell, therefore I think the standards are pretty high. Now Frisco seems to be the hot spot.

Grapevine, TX
Level Contributor
111 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: relocating near DFW airport - advice please

Look at any location other than Keller. It is nice, and upcoming, but the traffic is hell. You cannot get anywhere fast because there are no large roads in/out.

Good schools: Coppell, Grapevine/Colleyville, Carroll.

Grapevine near the lake has hiking/bike trails, but bus a long way.

Anything with quick access to Hwy 121 is good. I'd pick Colleyville or Grapevine, since we live here. Great shopping, great neighborhoods, friendly people.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: relocating near DFW airport - advice please

Grapevine/Southlake are excellent areas. We live in McKinney but are very very familiar with the school systems and the locations. They are very family orientated communities.

7. Re: relocating near DFW airport - advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, August 22, 2009