We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking RV trip with 4kids for Australia

wollongong
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Thinking RV trip with 4kids for Australia

Hi all,

We are heading over to the US next year in Sept/October and are planning on doing a little self driving trip starting at Dallas. Would love to hear what you all think about the places we have chosen to stop at and the distance we are covering. We aren't sure wether we are best to hire an RV or a car and just stay in hotels.

The ages of our children are 16, 14, 10 and 6. We know there are a lot of beautiful places to see but we only have limited time and money. The main things we are looking to see are;

1)Plantation Home

2)Civil War

3) Swamp tour

4)Space centre

The rest is just atmosphere and enjoying the US. After our driving we will be heading to Disney World and then onto Hawaii as well.

Other than Dallas and New Orleans we are planning on spending 2 nights in most places, Dallas 4/5 nights and New Orleans maybe 3 nights.

Here is what we have so far;

Dallas to Vicksburg (civil war)

Vicksburg to Natchez (plantation homes)

Natchez to New Orleans

New Orleans to Houma(swamp tour, 1 night only)

Houma to Houston(Space centre)

Houston to San Antonio

San Antonio back to Dallas

Dallas to Orlando

thank you all for your advice in advance

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking RV trip with 4kids for Australia

Sounds like a great trip. Not sure about navigating an RV around the major cities. You might try to hire a minivan, but the rental companies often can't guarantee they will actually have one when you arrive.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,415 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking RV trip with 4kids for Australia

Is there a reason to begin and end your driving circuit in Dallas? Seems like you could begin you road trip in San Antonio and work your way east. You could then fly to Orlando from New Orleans or even drive in one hard day from Natchez. I would skip Dallas if you haven't any good reason to visit.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,473 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thinking RV trip with 4kids for Australia

I've alway loved the idea of RVing - I've never done it. I'm with Wally about the actual driving part, not only in the cities but in general. I figure that I'd have to drive slower and would become fatigued sooner, thus reducing the amount of milage I can cover in a day.

I don't know your experience, but I might book an RV for just part of the trip.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thinking RV trip with 4kids for Australia

Looks good to me. I recommend also posting this in the Road Trips forum for additional input, especially regarding traveling in an RV.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

5. Re: Thinking RV trip with 4kids for Australia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 21, 2014