We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deep Ellum and DUI

Porto Alegre, RS
Level Contributor
221 posts
254 reviews
Save Topic
Deep Ellum and DUI

My husband and I have booked a hotel in Deep Ellum because we wanted to be somewhere we could go drinking and go back to the hotel walking, but we've just read that it is not safe at night.

Was that a good choice? Should we stay somewhere else?

I've heard about DUI in the States and I wonder if, in case we are driving, we cannot have a single drink or we would have to be really drunk to get in trouble.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,328 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deep Ellum and DUI

Since there are no hotels in Deep Ellum; I wonder where you might be staying that says otherwise.

Best walkable area for what you are looking for is Uptown - ZaZa, Crescent Court, Ritz Carlton, Stoneleigh. Even Hyatt House on Harry Hines is a good option.

Porto Alegre, RS
Level Contributor
221 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Deep Ellum and DUI

Indigo hotel is nearby, isn't it?

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
19 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Deep Ellum and DUI

The legal limit in Texas for intoxication is .08 BAC. It is not hard to get to that level. Where ever you stay, if you can't walk, take a cab. You will pay thousands of dollars trying to defend yourself if you are arrested. There has been several high profile DWI accidents & deaths in the DFW area lately. The police are on the lookout, Drink, enjoy but don't get behind the wheel.

Dallas
Level Contributor
3,713 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Deep Ellum and DUI

I haven't been down there at night for a while, but Deep Ellum to the Indigo was never an area that I would consider walking at night!

Other opinions?

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,328 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Deep Ellum and DUI

Indigo is closest hotel to Deep Ellum but it isn't close enough to walk safely at night, IMO. It isn't even the a great area during the day. I certainly would not recommend that anyone from out of town or unfamiliar with the area walk it at night.

Plus, Deep Ellum is kinda dead. Not totally dead but certainly not like what it was like 15 years ago.

When we go out, we take cabs or get a driver. Are you adverse to taking cabs for any reason? And secondly, what type of nightlife are you looking for?

Porto Alegre, RS
Level Contributor
221 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Deep Ellum and DUI

Does the doubletree by hilton dallas market place sound better?

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,328 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Deep Ellum and DUI

I wasn't saying the Indigo was a bad hotel. Just not to walk between Deep Ellum and the Indigo at night.

Market Center doesn't have anything to walk to. The Doubletree is good, though.

Plano TX
Level Contributor
380 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Deep Ellum and DUI

Have you considered maybe staying in uptown? You have all the bars and restaurants on McKinney Ave within walking distance and its relatively safe. We stayed at the ZaZa and loved it.

Porto Alegre, RS
Level Contributor
221 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Deep Ellum and DUI

Zaza looked wonderful, but its way out of our budget. I've also booked the Melrose, which seemed nice, but its still more than we wanted to spend. Plus, the charge 24 USD for parking, which I think its a lot. If you guys tell me it's really worth it paying more to stay there we will do it. Otherwise we will try to find a less expensive hotel.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Deep Ellum and DUI

Have you looked at the Lawrence? They usually have web deals that are pretty good. The Lawrence is walkable to the West End, and because it's close to the Kennedy assassination site there are usually people on the streets until fairly late.

I'm with everyone else, though, that walking is not smart in most areas after dark. Particularly that end from the edge of downtown to Deep Ellum.

There are some great places to go in Deep Ellum and lately I've noticed a real pick-up in clubs/restaurants attendance.

The Magnolia downtown also has good web deals, as does The Adolphus. There are some walkable restaurants/bars to both of these.