We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip report- train, trolley and the Perot Museum

Which Dallas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,821 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip report- train, trolley and the Perot Museum

I had been wanting to catch DART rail at the Buckner end of the green line for a long time so decided to give it a go when I headed for Dallas yesterday. My ultimate goal was meeting a friend at the new Perot Museum of Nature and Science.

The Buckner station is easy to get to off of I-45. Take the Loop 12 east exit and it is about 5 miles to the train station. I bought my $5 day pass and boarded the train that was waiting there. I rode up to the Pearl St. station, changed trains to ride one station up to Cityplace/Uptown station. Finally after all these years got to ride those amazing escalators!

The Cityplace station is the terminal end of the McKinney Avenue trolley and it is also where the trolley gets turned around on the turntable- kind of fun to watch, especially for kids. It was right on time and the driver was very friendly and helpful to all who boarded. Again, I had wanted to ride the trolley through Uptown forever (last time I was on it was at least 20 years ago) and will catch it again soon for the full loop through the Arts district. I got off at St. Paul and Woodall Rogers, across from the Klyde Warren deck park, another place I hope to explore on my next visit.

Very short walk to the Perot Museum- what a gorgeous warm day to be out and about in Dallas! The building is truly stunning as you walk up to it. There were easily 1000 school kids having lunch throughout the courtyard and cafe. I knew there would be lots of kids so I was prepared but if you want to hit it at a good time, come a bit later, around 130-2 PM.

The exhibit hall only ticket is $15 ($20 for the movie and exhibits) and can be bought at the desk or little kiosks (or on-line). These are set for half hour intervals so that it doesn't get too crowded- you can come back in anytime during the day if you leave.

My friend and I headed up to the 4th floor, via escalators and checked out each floor as we headed back down by elevator. We kept saying "Wow". All of the exhibits are very interactive and kid friendly but adults will enjoy it as well. We particularly liked the gemstones- have never seen such amazing specimens.

The cafe is a bit crowded but the drinks have free refills- food looked good but didn't take time to eat. Gift shop was small and rather ordinary. We agreed that the museum was well worth the price of admission.

I walked over to the West End and caught a green line train back to Buckner. Just love riding along, people watching and seeing parts of Dallas that we don't normally visit. It really was a great day.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,552 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip report- train, trolley and the Perot Museum

What a nice day, Poodle!! I chaperoned my son's class to the Perot - we had a great time. We enjoyed the front courtyard for a while with the music instruments.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,821 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip report- train, trolley and the Perot Museum

I saw those instruments as I walked out- they look like fun! You are very brave to be a chaperone ;-)

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,821 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip report- train, trolley and the Perot Museum

I saw those instruments as I walked out- they look like fun! You are very brave to be a chaperone ;-)

Edited: 1:53 pm, February 08, 2013
Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,821 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip report- train, trolley and the Perot Museum

5. Re: Day Trip report- train, trolley and the Perot Museum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 10, 2014