We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to stay and best attraction?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Place to stay and best attraction?

My wife and I are going to Dallas for a weekend in February. This will be our first time in Dallas. What's the best neighborhood to stay in town where we can walk and shop?

Where should we go for nice sightseeing? What neighborhoods are lively during the day and nights?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,991 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to stay and best attraction?

Uptown is the liveliest day/night. Hotels here are ZaZa, Crescent Court, Ritz Carlton. A couple of B&Bs - Bailey's and Guesthouse on Allen St.

McKinney Ave runs through the middle of Uptown where you can catch the trolley which runs by Kyde Warren Park aka The Deck Park....look at the schedule to see what's going on: http://www.klydewarrenpark.org/. The line ends at Dallas Museum of Art and loops up to West Village where you'll find many restaurants and shops. http://westvil.com/

If you are in town during the 3rd Friday of the month, Late Night at DMA is very bustling. There is always an excellent music group playing.

And check out the food truck schedule to when and where food trucks will be when you are in town. They often park in Arts District - http://sidedish.dmagazine.com/ Schedule os posted on Tues of that week.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to stay and best attraction?

Thanks for the info Pepper. But the hotels you mentioned might be out of my budget. Also few of the websites that I checked show them. Is there another cool area that you can mention.

Thanks.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,991 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to stay and best attraction?

It might help if you let us know your budget.

You should be able to check with each hotel directly for the best rates. I find that actually calling...yes!...with the phone, each hotel to ask if they have special rates not advertised. It's more reliable than those big booking Internet agencies.

Edited: 11:21 pm, January 09, 2013
Dallas, Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to stay and best attraction?

The thing about Dallas someone from DC needs to understand is that our city is ridiculously spread out and our public transportation is... well, DART is our version of METRO and it's... a constant work in progress. I love how DC puts attractions so conveniently nearby METRO stations just to make sightseeing that much easier. Not in Dallas. In Dallas you'll need a car. One with a GPS. It'll actually save you time, money, and frustration in the long run.

Okay, so, what should you do? My opinion? Cowboy up. People don't visit Dallas because they want to shop at our Galleria Mall but that's usually where they end up because they don't plan ahead. So, just for a weekend, be a little bit country and embrace your southern side. That's the best way to sightsee in Dallas.

FORT WORTH STOCKYARDS

This is not one attraction but an area. The Stockyards are where you'll find

•Billy Bobs,

•White Elephant Saloon,

•Rodeo Coliseum

Go to their website and check times against the dates you'll be there and be sure to stay long enough to watch their twice daily cattle drive down the middle of the midway. http://www.fortworthstockyards.org/

Gaylord Texan

Indoor hotel/entertainment complex with replicas of the river walk and the Alamo and loaded with restaurants and bars. It's neat to just walk around especially if the weather isn't great.

gaylordhotels.com/gaylord-texan/index.html

Murder Mystery Diner Theater (with a western twist). Great Food, funny show that you don't have to participate in if you're shy.

www.texasstardinnertheater.com/2013.html

If you want to see downtown Dallas metropolitan there are many ways to do it, one way is to play a little game: http://goo.gl/UCU58 Hope some of this helps. For Hotels I'd use Hotwire and I'd select the Highest Rating for the lowest cost in the area you plan to visit most. We do have cute hotels with local flavor, but they won't be in your price range. No worries, save your money and spend it on new boots instead. :)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Place to stay and best attraction?

Thanks for you help. Would recommend the downtown area as a place to stay?

ARLINGTON, TX
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Place to stay and best attraction?

If your thinking about the Stockyards, Stay at the Hyatt or Stockyards Hotel. Lodging, food, shopping and good country music within walking distance.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Place to stay and best attraction?

You haven't identified your budget, but check the Adolphus, Magnolia, Fairmont or Sheraton - all downtown Dallas. The McKinney Av Trolly can be taken (may require a few blocks walk) to get to Uptown. From downtown, the light rail (DART) is also available as is the Trinity Rail Express (TRE), a commuter rail to Fort Worth (no Sunday or late night service).

Also, will you have a car. Taxis are expensive.

Edited: 10:06 am, January 12, 2013
Pincourt, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Place to stay and best attraction?

Hello, we are also going through Dallas in the middle of February - we are driving down from Montreal, Canada - visiting along the way to Galveston for a cruise in the Caribbean. We've been reading about the cities we will be seeing on our journey, through Frommers. they seem to have good ideas of what to visit. As to where to stay, we are also on budget, I just google 'accommodations' in ...whatever city we'll be aiming for the next night. so far, we've booked with Expedia, but you can chose from any other site as well as directly to the hotels. You get a good description, photos, maps of the hotels along with being able to read the reviews from past guests...quite helpful I think. At the moment, we're still looking in the Memphis area...Dallas will be next. Good luck and safe travelling.

Renee L.M.

9. Re: Place to stay and best attraction?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 pm, January 18, 2013
10. Re: Place to stay and best attraction?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 20, 2014