We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transferring from International to Domestic Flight

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Transferring from International to Domestic Flight

We arrive in Dallas from Sydney next Saturday and then transfer to a Domestic Flight with American Airlines to New York.

My question is if we buy a bottle of duty free alchol out of Syd which will go in our hand luggage will I be able to take it on board as cabin luggage out of Dallas to New York? I doubt it!

We have been caught out like this before buying duty free forgetting that we were then doing an ongoing domestic flight where the 50ml rule applies.

Info needed fast!

Thanks.

Lozzie64

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transferring from International to Domestic Flight

You can't take it into the passenger cabin, but you can pack it into your checked baggage after clearing customs at DFW and before you hand the bags back. Just be sure to leave room for it.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transferring from International to Domestic Flight

Why not buy your liquor in the duty free shop of NY or DFW? Once you clear TSA security, your carry-ons are not checked again before boarding flights within the US. You can carry liquor onto a plane, you're just not supposed to be drinking it, I don't think.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transferring from International to Domestic Flight

That isn't right, galveston_gal. Lozzie's entry into the US is DFW. The exit from customs is into a non-secured area. To get to the gate for the connecting flight to NY, they will have to go through the usual security system where carry-on items are checked. You'll also have to take your shoes off, Lozzie. Even if the connection is in Terminal D where the international flights arrive, a boarding pass to an international flight is required to buy duty free items.

Edited: 4:17 pm, March 28, 2012
Sydney
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transferring from International to Domestic Flight

Thanks all for the info.

It sounds like we will have to clear customs at DFW which I think usually means we have to collect our suitcases, which possibly means they won't be checked all the way through?

If the bags are cleared at DFW we will be able to place in then before rechecking in for the Domestic flight to NY.

Sounds like I need to make sure the bags are not checked all the way through? We have to change Terminals from B to D.

Thanks.

Lozzie64

Bedford, Texas
Level Contributor
319 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transferring from International to Domestic Flight

All International flights arrive at Terminal D. There is no customs or immigration at the any of other terminals.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transferring from International to Domestic Flight

Your bags will be checked through to NY. There is a collection point after you clear customs where you drop the bags to be sent to your connecting flight without any further checkin prodedure for them. Then you'll exit the customs area to go to your connection.

It has been awhile since I changed terminals at DFW, so I can't advise on the best way to do that currently. There is Skylink which I believe is the fastest way to do it, but it connects secured areas in the terminals so you would have to go through security at Terminal D to use it. Edit: I see from your other question that you've received advice on Skylink, so that's the way to do it.

Edited: 5:40 pm, March 28, 2012
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transferring from International to Domestic Flight

texhills, my husband works at DFW and I received the info from him. After you go through Customs, you do not get your carry-ons checked again if they stay in the secure area where the duty free shops are located. If you go outside to smoke, etc., your carry-ons will be checked by TSA again. Putting items you purchase in the duty free shops, while not leaving the secure area, may be legally placed in your carry-ons, as you are unable to purchase anything explosive in the duty free shops.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,430 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transferring from International to Domestic Flight

I know some of the information I'm stating is repeating what others have said, but then misinformation is posted again, so I'm posting this to hopefully have all the information in one response. I go through security at DFW about 140 - 160 times a year, so I am very familiar with their systems (but do no know everything, as it was only in recent years that I realized all US airports seem to route international travelers outside security).

You can NOT buy items from the duty-free shops if you are not boarding an international flight. So you can not buy something in DFW to take to NYC with you. The reason why they are duty-free is because you are traveling internationally.

That said, I've not found significant differences in pricing in the duty-free shops, indeed, in some instances I've found the pricing is much higher. So only buy an item that you know is a real savings.

Note that when you go through Customs in Terminal D you go through customs with your checked luggage, then hand the checked luggage off to be routed to your domestic flight as you complete Customs. You then MUST go outside the secured area and go back through security. I don't know why the terminal was designed that way, but every USA airport that I've cleared Customs in and then gone on to another domestic flight routes you outside the secured area to go through security again.

Yes, you could only check your bags through to DFW, but then you have no access to any shops (well, maybe one or two) outside security, so there's no point in not checking them through.

It will be easiest to go through security at Terminal D. There are two non-first class entrances and one entrance is reserved only for first class passengers. But they're very fast, and most business people who park at the airport park at D, check in there, and then go to the departure Terminal.

When you go through security remember you can bring an empty bottle, if you carry a drink bottle with you, through security. Your liquids must be less than 100 mL PER bottle, but all must fit into a quart sized baggie (or quart size container--I use a clear make-up bag) and each person is entitled to one quart sized container of liquids. Have that bag easily accessible to pull out and put in the bin. Note that it does not have to be in a separate bin so you can put it in a bin with your purse/shoes, whatever.

You must take off any jackets that have buttons, but if you're wearing a pullover type sweater that does not have to be removed. You must remove your shoes if you are over 12 (in case you have kids with you). You must put a computer, camcorder, iPad, or any large electronic device into a separate bin for each item.

Most security entrances have both types of scanners, but the security staff direct you to which to use. If you don't want to go through the scanner where your body is viewed, tell them you're an opt-out and they'll do a hand pat-down. If you are wearing a skirt they'll do a pat-down anyway, though not as extensive.

After clearing security go up the escalator (two stops at each Terminal) to the SkyLink trains. Thes are clearly marked which terminals are served and it will be no more than about six minutes or so to get to the other end of the SkyLink. The SkyLink to the other terminals have two exits/entrances for each stop. So if you are going to Terminal C gate 12, you get off at the first stop labelled C 1 - 20, and go to the exit directing you to gate 10--I can't remember the exact numbering, but it will be clear to you when you're exiting.

You could take the Terminal LInk bus outside security to the other terminal, but these run every ten minutes versus every two minutes for the train. If there's a smoker in the party, then this might be preferred.. Note that some terminal security lines can be very slow, and there are three per terminal. You may be in a line with 100 people, and the other lines have no waits at all. A 21 is very busy, but A23 is usually much slower (the only two entrances that close to each other). My preferred security entrance is A23 because there are no body scanners at that entrance.

Edited: 10:25 pm, March 28, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transferring from International to Domestic Flight

It would be good if the system worked the way you describe, galveston_gal. It makes no sense to me to send connecting passengers outside the secure area after customs/immigration is cleared only to make them go through security again.

But that's the way it is at DFW unless a very recent change has been made that no one on this forum knows about. As ChrystinP mentions, it's the same at other US airports. We've experienced it at JFK and Atlanta when making a domestic connection from an international flight.

Mentioned in this post
Bedford, Texas
Level Contributor
319 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transferring from International to Domestic Flight

Working for the major airport in the area, hint hint. Here is the sense in making connecting passengers go through security again after going through customs. While we'd like to think other countries use the same security standards as we do, they do not. No telling what they've brought into the country that is not necessarily illegal but not permitted to fly with. Those of us who travel internationally have seen security in other countries. Some good, some non existent... The security debate is a subject I wouldn't touch...too many pros and cons.

ChrystinP is right on with her comments...

To the OP, if it were I, I'd enter at security at Terminal D since it is the slowest travel day of the week. Then if I had time, I’d check the information center and select one of the great restaurants in Terminal D, and eat. Then I'd hop on SkyLink and do the complete circle around DFW Airport. There is a great view of DFW Airport and surrounding areas from SkyLink. To the south you can see Cowboy Stadium.