We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sites to see in 1 day

SV, IL
Level Contributor
52 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
sites to see in 1 day

We will be in Dallas in April for a wedding. We want to see the city on Friday. Please help us arrange our time so we don't miss a thing! Include restaurant recommendations as well. Looking forward to my first trip to Dallas.

Dallas
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: sites to see in 1 day

Most tourist visit the West End. It's located in downtown Dallas and is usually pretty exciting on weekends. I live in downtown so I'm afraid my knowledge is limited. Plus, I've only lived here for 2 years. The Galleria Mall is one of the best malls in the country not to mention one of the most expensive.

Grassy Knoll is also located in downtown. You can visit the Sixth Floor Museum. I'm sure you know what these are but I'll explain just in case. Grassy Knoll is the memorial site for JFK. He was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald from the sixth floor of a building. The street is marked with an X for the exact location of the president when he was shot. He was rushed to Parkland Hospital a few miles down the road where he died.

Dallas is also known for our famous Reunion Tower. It's the ball that sparkles in the air. There is an observation deck where you can see the city. On a clear day, you can see Ft. Worth which is 35 miles away. There is also a restaurant located in the ball. I've never been there but I hear it's quite nice. If your more of a casual diner, my favorite restaurant is Snuffer's. They are well known by the locals for their cheese fries. Trust me, you have never tasted anything like this in your life and probably never will again. They have 4 locations around the area. My email address rod_lester@cch-lis.com. Please email me if you have any other questions about your trip. I hope you have a great time.

Rod

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sites to see in 1 day

I lived there for a number of years, and Dallas seems to lack soul. It's like Cleveland with heat.

If you want to see the whole 'Texas' thing, skip Dallas and go to Fort Worth. Downtown has Sundance Square, and some amazing art museums are just west of downtown. I especially like the Kimball.

In Dallas, the JFK Museum is supposed to be quite impressive. I never made it there, despite driving by thousands of times. The new Nasher sculpture garden is impressive as well. Deep Ellum is a waste of time during the day, and the West End is for uninquisitive tourists. Do you travel to go to yet another damned Gap?

Dallas
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: sites to see in 1 day

Do not go to the West End. It's a big waste of time.

Do go to the grassy knoll and the Sixth Floor museum in the morning. Go to the West Village or Knox-Henderson for good food and a bit of shopping in the mid-afternoon and hit up McKinney Ave for dinner. You could easily do McKinney Ave for dinner as well. Lots of little boutiques and shops, as Greenville Ave has. Lower Greenville's moreof a thrifty style than the hip-yet-antique McKinney. We've got far too many fabulous restaurants to send you to the chain mecca they call the West End. Avoid that place like the plague. No self-respecting Dallasite steps foot in that area unless they're 18 and want to get drunk.

Fort Worth capitalizes more on the cowboy stereotype than Dallas. If cowboys and longhorns is what you want, go there, see the Kimball, a world-class museum & go to Lonsome Dove on Main St.

Recommended restaurants:

Ziziki's on Travis, especially their brunch on Sundays

Ferre or Paris Vendome, West Village

Terrili's or The Grape on Greenville

Mattito's on Routh

MiCocina in Highland Park Village

Javier's on Cole

Anything on McKinney

Hector's on Henderson

La Duni on Oaklawn or McKinney

Luna de Noche at Forest & Central

For really good fried chicken/country food, it's a bit out of the way, go to Babe's in N. Garland on Belt Line

Dallas
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: sites to see in 1 day

Totally forgot that you could also go to the Arts District. I just went this past weekend to the DMA & saw the Forbidden City exhibit. It has a lot of things that have never been seen before & won't been seen after it leaves for China in May. The Crow Museum of Asian Art is across the street (it's free!) & the spectacular Nasher Sculpture Museum is also across the street. McKinney Ave. is just a street or two north of that area.

Just west of the West Village is Turtle Creek Blvd. which should be nice to cruise down since the azaelas and trees should be in full bloom.

The best bet for night time, I would say, would be Knox-Henderson. Know has more mainstream shops where Henderson has more unique stuff. They are bascially the same street that changes names at the intersection of Central/75.

Hope you have a good time. Hopefully the weather will be sunny and warm, but with Texas you NEVER know. We do not trust the weathermen around here!!

SV, IL
Level Contributor
52 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sites to see in 1 day

Thank You for your suggestions. We really appreciate some guidance. We will see the Sixth Floor Museum and then off to see other wonders in Dallas. We also appreciate the restaurant lists. One just never knows. There is a famous bar in Ft WOrth?? Is it worth the trip?

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sites to see in 1 day

Definitely do not eat at the Antares (the restaurant in the Reunion Tower dome) as it's overpriced and bad food. The Dome is the cocktail lounge where drinks are pricey and not good, but worth one drink to sit in the lounge for an hour and circle the city. That would probably be a nice way to end the day. If you are driving, you can park on the block facing the Union Station and walk through the station to the elevators.

If it's a pretty day another close by downtown option would be Old City Park. They have 40 buildings from the pioneer period of Texas, 1840 - 1910, with the only surviving antebellum mansion of Dallas County located there. They also have a dog trot cabin and a Sears kit house. It's a 13 acre city park, costs about $7, and will take a couple of hours to walk through.

The 6th Floor Museum is really good and you'll find it well worth the visit. The grassy knoll is the green space by the street where the Kennedy car was being driven, the Kennedy Memorial is a block away, behind the Old Red Courthouse. A lot of folks think Dealey Plaza is the Kennedy Memorial. At http://www.earthcam.com/jfk/index.html you can see a view of the Reunion Tower when you check the webcam at night.

You don't mention if you're going to have a car, or how much walking you want to do.

If you're staying generally in the downtown area catch the McKinney trolley for an interesting ride through a couple of neat neighborhoods. http://www.mata.org/map.shtml

I would recommend going to see our City Hall area, I love the longhorn installation. The City Hall is designed by I.M. Pei and is one of the most futuristic buildings in America.

If youre into really great steaks then definitely go to Bob's Steak and Chophouse on Lemmon. If you're into salsa/mambo dancing definitely go to Monica's Aca y Alla. If you'd like good Tex-Mex/Savlvadoran then Gloria's on lower Greenville or Lemmon is great.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sites to see in 1 day

Meant to mention: If you're going to do Dallas, do Dallas. If you want to do Fort Worth, do Fort Worth. No way to do both in one day unless you only spend a couple of hours on each city. Not a good way to use your time, I don't think.

Ft. Worth is great and well worth a visit, too.

Also, just to mention going to the Adolphus and having dinner in the green room or just a drink at the bar is fun, lovely hotel.

Poor David's Pub is also a really great place to have a casual evening if you like live music. If Guy Clarke is in town, don't miss him.

Ohio
Level Contributor
832 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sites to see in 1 day

Any suggestions as to where to take three 20 yr olds.

I am traveling with my daughter and her friend in and out of Dallas airport and on to Ft Hood to see a friend in the Army that is recovering from a injury in Iraq. He is able to leave base for the weekend and we want to do some partying. We are thinking about spending the weekend in either Austin or Ft Worth.

Any suggestions for some "spring break" fun??

SV, IL
Level Contributor
52 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sites to see in 1 day

We will arrive late in the evening. Can anyone recommend a hotel near the airport? Thank you

SV, IL
Level Contributor
52 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sites to see in 1 day

Please advise on a hotel or motel near the Dallas/Fort Worth Airport. We will arrive late in the evening and be checking out the next morning. Thank You