We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak train from Dallas to Austin

Which Dallas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
england
Level Contributor
3 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Amtrak train from Dallas to Austin

I have to get from Dallas to Austin. The cheapest way is by train. Has anyone any up to date experience of this trip? Do the trains run on time? Are they safe?

Appreciate any tips.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
6,916 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrak train from Dallas to Austin

We did this route (from Longview to SA) a few weeks ago We left on time fron LVW and arrived 1 hour early. On return we left from SA on time and arrived LVW one hour late.

I rec that you look at the schedule and see if it is convenient for you to leave from Ft Worth and return there. I think you could save time if the station is easy to get to

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
6,916 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amtrak train from Dallas to Austin

PS We felt very safe and plan to take this train to Chicago next year

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
6,916 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amtrak train from Dallas to Austin

The train portion of our trip is here---http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60956-i76-k4923981-o10-Trip_report-San_Antonio_Texas.html

thread#12

Edited: 5:37 pm, January 07, 2012
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
9 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amtrak train from Dallas to Austin

I definitely recommend against the train. While I was living in Austin my husband took the train down once to see me. On the way down, the train was delayed a few HOURS. On the way back, the train was stalled because it hit a car and it took him ten hours to get back to Dallas.

It could've been a bad experience but everyone I know who's taken the train said it was a bad experience. Pay a few extra bucks to take the Greyhound and save yourself some time and hassle- we're experienced very few problems with Greyhound.

england
Level Contributor
3 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amtrak train from Dallas to Austin

Thank you all for your comments. I have decided against the train. I don't mind the long time it takes, it would be interesting, but I don't want to risk long delays. I will make other arrangements. Perhaps in the future, when I have more time, I will try it.

It is a shame. I have travelled all over Europe, with no problem. It's a great way to travel.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amtrak train from Dallas to Austin

Train travel in Texas and throughout most of the United States will never be what it is in Europe. Our transportation dollars have, over the past half century, been directed toward our highway system The delays experienced on Amtrak, particularly in Texas, are mainly due to sharing track with freight trains and those having precedence over passenger trains. Thus, Amtrak will sometimes have to pull off on a siding in order to let the freight trains go past.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amtrak train from Dallas to Austin

Traveling by train is parts of the U.S. is very different from doing so in Europe. Travel along the East Coast, especially through Washington, DC, Philadelphia, New York and Boston, is similar with frequent service and many options, but not in Texas. In Texas, cities are very far apart and service is infrequent, most likely just one train a day, so that train shares track with freight trains. If there is a problem on the track, all trains can be delayed for hours. You may have a wonderful experience like Felschurch, or a terrible experience like Tyler R's husband. It's just very hard to predict. If you don't have much time, I would recommend flying between the two cities via Southwest Airlines - www.southwest.com . There are multiple flights a day and they are usually relatively inexpensive if you book in advance.

Edited: 10:47 am, January 12, 2012
8. Re: Amtrak train from Dallas to Austin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, February 26, 2013