We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alone in Dallas.

Which Dallas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bordeaux, France
1 post
Save Topic
Alone in Dallas.

I'll go to Dallas with my boyfriend (24 Febr-4 March) but he wants to work 4 days and I'll be alone.I think to take lessons of country dance, going to the museum of art, to the zoo..What do you advise me ?

I don't have a car, I must to walk but is it at my own risk because I'm alone?

I think to take the bus or the cab, too.

(We'll be at the Lawrence Hotel).

What can I do the evening ?

Thank you for yours answers and sorry for my "frech-english".

I am a little bit anxious because of this trip... Au revoir!

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alone in Dallas.

Walking in Dallas downtown isn't any riskier than any other big city- watch out for folks turning right on red! If you are out at night by yourself, you might consider a cab just to feel safer. If you read through previous Dallas threads, you will see lots of advice on what to see and where to go.

There is a country western nightclub downtown, Gilley's, that offers free dance lessons on Saturday nights from 6-8 PM.

The Dallas Museum of Art and the Nasher Sculpture Museum are well worth visiting. If you get over to Fort Worth, be sure to see the Kimbell and/or the Modern. If you like American shopping malls, North Park Center is easily reached by DART rail (as are the DMA and the zoo). Neiman Marcus, a high end, historic department store, is still in downtown, on Main, but won't find a lot of shopping in downtown anymore.

Here's a thread on February 14 where I answered about mass transit in the area- I hope it helps: Dallas-Ft. Worth First Time Need Recommendations

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alone in Dallas.

The Sons of Hermann Hall has free swing dance lessons on Wednesday nights. The club/bar is at the eastern edge of Deep Ellum.

Dallas Heritage Village at Old City Park is worth a few hours visit.

You will be here the weekend of the North Texas Irish Festival which is taking place at Fair Park. This is a huge event and great fun, see www.ntif.org for more info on this.

Julie Budd and Marvin Hamlisch are at the Dallas Symphony that weekend. Any seat at the Meyerson is great.

Dallas
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Alone in Dallas.

Greenville Avenue has a lot of live music, rock and country bars, and some great restaurants for all tastes. Greenville Avenue is easily accessible and runs north and south starting about 5km or about 3 miles. The largest collection of these bars and restaurants is close to the intersection at Henderson Ave. and Greenville Ave. Also there are plenty of cool shops and places to eat at the West Village at the Lemmon Avenue and McKinney Avenue intersection although it is better to go for shopping earlier in the day before they close. There is a high end night club there called Nikita but mostly it is a place for people to be seen.