We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stuff to do in Dallas (especially for kids)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
120 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Stuff to do in Dallas (especially for kids)

I'm travelling for business for 3 weeks to Dallas soon and my wife and two young kids will be accompanying me (4 & 6). We will be staying in Irving and my wife is not confident in driving a car in an unfamiliar country without me there (and I'll be working during the day). Can anyone recommend safe (and fun) activities for her to take the kids to during the week that are reasonably local to Irving or she could get to by public transport, or a cab with a not too expensive fare?

Thanks...

Also, if someone can give me a few ideas of attractions / sights not to miss for both adults and kids we'll manage those on the weekend. Currently all we know about Dallas is the JFK museum, and as with all the US compared to Australia - the shopping!!!

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,806 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stuff to do in Dallas (especially for kids)

Near the 6th Floor Museum (JFK) is the Dallas World Aquarium - a great outing with kids.

Fair Park has a couple of good museums for kids - Science Place and Natural History. Kind of far from Irving, though.

Galleria Mall makes a good outing.

A Children's Museum in Valley View Mall.

Also look at guidelive.com and dfweverything.com

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
404 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stuff to do in Dallas (especially for kids)

Too bad you're not travelling a little later because you could check out a Texas Rangers game. The Ballpark is our home away from home during the season. You could, however, check out the museum at the Ballpark. Couple other stores there also.

If you are checking out the Sixth Floor Museum (JFK), there are several other things to do in that area. The West End has great shopping. Don't miss the best bbq ever at Sonny Bryan's. The Dallas Aquarium is nearby and pretty neat for young kids. One other thing in the area that my kids love that costs nothing is the Pioneer Plaza Cattle Drive consists of HUGE bronze statues of cattle and cowboys. All of these are within a few blocks of each other downtown.

Enjoy!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
120 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stuff to do in Dallas (especially for kids)

kdets89 - thanks for the info - I am actually travelling in mid March through to early April and had a look at the rangers website and they are playing by then.

I was thinking of the Rangers/Red Sox game on the 4th April - not knowing anything about baseball would this be a good game to go to do you think (or could you recommend another in this timeframe)?

I see there's a whole range of seating options available in the ballpark - where would you think is the best place to sit for a reasonable price with kids of 4 & 6?

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stuff to do in Dallas (especially for kids)

The Rangers - Red Sox would be awesome. If you go to a game, remember the lower seats are in the sun (if it's a day game) and I don't like it. You can get very, very burned even with sunscreen. Not to mention being hot and sweaty. Multiply that by two kids and it could be a most unhappy event.

Be aware we've had a very warm winter and March and April may be much hotter than you're expecting. I like to be higher in the stands with shade. You can call The Rangers ticket office and tell them you'd like decent seat that are shaded and they'll help you. The ticket office folks are stellar. It's not like calling Ticketmaster; the Rangers folks really know the seating. I'd also request to be on an aisle close to the entrance/exit portal. Bring sweaters, so if it's coolish you'll be warm, but there's no way to get cooler if you're in the dead-on sun.

Go over to Fort Worth and take the kids to the Fort Worth Zoo. If you're here on April 15 take them to the Cowtown Coliseum in the stockyards to see Pawnee Bill's Wild West Show. That's the only time you can see it until the summer and shows are at 2:30 and 4:30 that day.

In Dallas, Old City Park and Heritage Village is a wonderful place for families (I know, I know, y'all, I'm always recommending it, but then I'm a big fan.) I second the recommendation for Pioneer Plaza, kids will love it, and you'll have some great photo ops. The signs say don't climb on the cattle, but everyone does.

One evening take the family to the Pocket Sandwich Theater to see "Phantom of the Opera." This is showing from March 31 until mid-May. This is not theater as you know it. It's a melodrama and there's popcorn throwing, booing, hissing, sighing audience participation. Kids love it, they don't have to be quiet like in a "serious" theater. They can move and be active trying to throw popcorn. It will probably have some risque moments, but the kids won't get it. When you call for reservations tell them you're from Austalia and your kids would love to have one of those "birthday" welcomes and to please seat you at the first bar facing the center of the stage, if possible. You can tell them you're friends of mine and they'll try to make sure you're in a good spot for the kids.

There are two train stops in Irving and the trains go to both Fort Worth and Dallas. How accessible they are from where you're staying is another question.

I'd suggest contacting the concierge at the hotel and ask what's recommended for children in the area. Irving is a business/residential area. Not really a destination place, so I don't have any idea what's there in what you're looking for.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
404 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stuff to do in Dallas (especially for kids)

You will certainly enjoy the Rangers/Red Sox game! I agree with everything the previous poster said. The ticket office people are great. We prefer the lower reserved seats, but the sun can be a problem. We often wander the stadium if it gets too bad. We always go a bit early, bring food, and sit at picnic tables behind sections 8 & 9 (which is also a good place to watch the game if it is too hot being completely covered). The "nosebleed" seats are the cheapest, and the kids are even half-price. If you really want to save $$, you might try those. If the game isn't too packed, you could possibly move to the lower reserved seats without too much trouble. (We've been known to do that at weekday games.)

Be sure to let your kids check out the Coca-Cola Sports Park where they can hit wiffle balls, play other games, and have their picture taken next the statue of Nolan Ryan, the greatest pitcher ever!

I agree with the suggestion to go to Fort Worth and the Stockyards. If you want to further your true Texas experience, attend the Mesquite rodeo. Lots of fun!