We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Routes from Amarillo to DFW

Which Dallas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
Level Contributor
405 posts
Save Topic
Driving Routes from Amarillo to DFW

What is the best route from Amarillo into DFW area? I have only taken the 287 route before, but heard someone mention a route 40 that cuts of time. Is that going up to OKC and then across on I40? That seems like a lot of extra miles.

Let me know if anyone has experience with this.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Routes from Amarillo to DFW

I can't think of any reason to take another route. 287 is the most direct and, as you know from driving it, fairly easy.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Routes from Amarillo to DFW

Any route involving I40 East of Amarillo would add miles and time. US287 is the only way to go.

San Luis Rey...
Level Contributor
21 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Routes from Amarillo to DFW

Is 287 a four lane road? I am planning a trip from DFW to Amarillo and was going to from DFW to Abilene to Lubbock to Amarillo, but that adds about an hour and a half. I'm concerned about the traffic on 287 because I heard it's a great truck route. Am I concerned for nothing?

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Routes from Amarillo to DFW

287 is four lane all the way from Ft. Worth to Amarillo and divided highway almost all the way. I've driven it numerous times and never found the trucks to be a problem. It's the best route to Amarillo.

Edited: 3:53 pm, February 16, 2011
San Luis Rey...
Level Contributor
21 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Routes from Amarillo to DFW

Thank you for your input. I won't worry about it.

6. Re: Driving Routes from Amarillo to DFW

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, February 18, 2012