We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do for new comers?

Texas
Level Contributor
139 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
what to do for new comers?

Just moved to Big Dallas area (DFW area) in July, am wondering what to see/do in this big metro area? should we visit the city? which section? what are must see in Dallas city?

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,039 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to do for new comers?

Try looking through citysearch and see what you might like...

http://dallas.citysearch.com/roundup/40465/

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,336 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to do for new comers?

Why would you not see the city? Why would you not see two or three or more cities? We have the wonderful good fortune to have two great cities within 30 miles of each other, and lots of interesting smaller cities in the area. See them all. They all have some wonderful and fun reasons to explore.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
6,002 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to do for new comers?

I am glad you liked the "50 free things" list. As you add to your list, much will depend on what kind of things you like to see and do, whtether you will have kids with you, etc. I've lived in the DFW area for 20 years and am still adding places to my list!Here are some things in the area that cost a bit but I like a lot:

If you haven't been (or for that matter if you have), go to the State Fair. It is so interesting- Fair Park alone is a great place. The museums there and the grounds and buildings are worth seeing. I love the landscaping during the fair.

The Ballpark in Arlington (I hate the name Ameriquest Field). Even when the Rangers are losing, it is a fun place. It is a wonderful stadium and I am still amazed that we have a real major league ballpark! Plus, if you like baseball, check out LaGrave Field in Ft. Worth.

Speaking of Ft. Worth, the Stockyards are well worth a visit (or two or three...), especially if you like rodeo (Friday and Saturday nights) and music (Billy Bob's, White Elephant, Longhorn Saloon, Pearl's). See the Longhorn Cattle Drive!

Sundance Square downtown is lively and interesting (again, architecture)- lots of food, live music, movie theatres, Bass Hall (well worth a look for the giant angels outside and the ceiling inside).

Fort Worth museum district is amazing- the Kimbell, the Modern, Amon Carter, Cowgirl Hall of Fame, Science and Natural History. Plus the Will Rogers Complex- try to see the Stockshow in January at least once, it isn't all about animals, really. And the Botanic Gardens are beuatiful- check out the fishpond in the Japanese Gardens.

One way to get out and see areas that you might not otherwise visit is to sign up and run/walk 5K charity events. For example, the Dallas Light the Night Walk for leukemia is October 23 at SMU. If you check out active.com or watch the sports section, you will find many, esp this time of year.

Good Luck! Hope you enjoy living here.

Texas
Level Contributor
139 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to do for new comers?

thanks a lot for the advise, I am reporting back. went to Fountain place (in the 50 list), loved it. hop on to the city car by chance, ride through to uptown west villiage, what a nice area. plan to check out Dallas often on future saturdays, of course Ft.Worth too.

Will check the Citysearch website for other fun things, thanks to you all.