We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Relocating to Dallas

Gresham, OR
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Relocating to Dallas

We have an opportunity to relocate from Oregon to the Dallas area. Never having been there, I am wondering if anyone can give me information about the area. Is there a huge difference between Flower Mound and Lewisville? We need to be close to Lewisville, as that's where my husband's job will be.

Should I be concerned about bugs (fire ants, bees, scorpions, etc)? Is the weather unbearable? Are the people pretty friendly? The schools, how are they? We are contemplating buying a house with a pool. Never having owned one, is that a pain because of too much work involved? Is it a conservative or liberal area? I know I asked lots of questions, but if anyone can answer any of them I'd really appreciate it!!

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,394 posts
28 reviews
29 helpful votes
1. Re: Relocating to Dallas

Lewisville and Flower Mound are suburbs that I've never been to. I would imagine these areas as being fairly generic with a chain of just about anything being the local business. I can give you general comments on the area.

Problems are fire ants - I pour boiling water on their mounds as opposed to the stinky poison. Air Pollution. Hot and Humid in summer-you learn to live with it. Most public schools are substandard. Very Conservative.

I still live here. I live in the Lakewood area (lots of tall trees) of Dallas where more Liberal points of view are acceptable. Our kid is in a homeschool group. We don't have a pool, but love our friends who do doesn't seem to be too much of problem.

Are people friendly? Yes and no.

Gresham, OR
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
2. Re: Relocating to Dallas

Thank you, Pepper, for your input! Does pouring boiling water on the fire ant mounds work as well as toxic poison? How long do they stay away with that kind of treatment? Is the air pollution constant? Thanks again!

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,394 posts
28 reviews
29 helpful votes
3. Re: Relocating to Dallas

My fire ant method does not always work, but it's fun to torture them!!!

Pollution is bad in the summer months when the humidity is high and the fumes can't escape.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
15 helpful votes
4. Re: Relocating to Dallas

Lewisville and Flower Mound are very similar suburbs. The main difference is that Flower Mound is newer (houses , schools, stores, buildings, etc.), but they are right next to each other, so geographically they are the same. Flower Mound schools are ranked better than Lewisville. I disagree with Pepper that they are substandard. Yes, Dallas public schools are substandard, but the outlying northern suburbs are ranked pretty high (Coppell, Richardson, Frisco, Flower Mound, Highland Village all score well). I had a pool for 7 years, and if you get one of the new ones (built since 1995), then there is not much to do. Most of the newer pools are self cleaning, self chlorinating, etc. In the summer, I brush it once a week, check and add chemicals once a week, and make sure the kreepy krauly is working properly, and that is it. I wouldn't know what to do without a pool. Texas is very conservative. However, Dallas is becoming more of a 50/50 city. You will find more conservatives in the north suburbs.

Yes, just like any other metropolitan area, we have bugs. I don't have many problems with fire ants. A few mounds pop up during the summer. However, mosquitos are my sworn enemy.

I grew up here, and spent time in South Florida, so the weather to me is not unbearable. July and August are the worst, but other than that, it isn't too bad. I personally would rather deal with a hot summer than blizzards in winter. But that is really a personal thing. People are people, both friendly and unfriendly. I don't think people go out of their way to be nasty (like NY, Boston, etc.), but they can be rude if you catch them at the wrong time.

E-mail me if you have more questions.....gjbfive@hotmail.com. Put tripadvisor in the subject line or I won't open it.

Cheers

Dallas-Fort Worth
Level Contributor
6 posts
46 reviews
9 helpful votes
5. Re: Relocating to Dallas

I was transferred to the Dallas area from San Antonio in 1986 - swore I wouldn't stay here more than 6 months. My husband moved here from Detroit and Cincinnati in 1979 and never left either. And there you have it. We actually live in Flower Mound, so I'm biased in that decision, but pretty much agree with the other comments posted. Flower Mound school district boasts some of the state's best rated programs. Flower Mound is a slightly smaller town that Lewisville, mostly newer, and much of the population consists of "transplants." In fact, probably half of the entire Dallas/Fort Worth area came from outside Texas, mostly through corporate relocations or job changes.

Yes, July and August are hot. (But it's a dry heat, we wink.) But everything is air-conditioned, work environments recognize the temperatures outside and in most cases, respect the need to do without coats and ties or pantyhose in the summer months. But it's December 17, the skies are clear and temps will reach the low 60s today. The weather is a big reason a lot of us have stayed here.

There are so many cultural offerings here - world class museums and collections, wonderful theatre, all the touring concerts and shows, live music venues of all kinds. Beautiful performance facilities all around. Plenty of old West, sure, but plenty of new as well.

Making an assumption based on your Oregon residency that "green" is important, there's plenty of nature to enjoy too. Lots of parks and greenbelts - Flower Mound is very protective of these. But there are nature trails throughout the area, plus lakes, rivers, and more. There is nothing more beautiful than a Texas sunrise, unless it is a Texas sunset. Especially this time of year - you can see for miles and miles and miles, and it is amazing.

Admittedly, the Dallas area doesn't have mountains or oceans. But a very quick flight on Southwest (or American or any of the many other carriers that offer great service here) gets you there in a snap. Ditto for efficient highways that make it easy to traverse this great state. Big Bend National Park, the birding trails of the Texas coast, the Piney Woods - all make for great getaways.

Gresham, OR
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
6. Re: Relocating to Dallas

Thank you so much for your reply. It made me feel better knowing that there is plenty of nature to be seen. I am looking at Flower Mound for sure now. We're coming there Christmas Day and will be there until Jan. 4. Do you know of any events on New Year's Eve we could attend?

Dallas-Fort Worth
Level Contributor
6 posts
46 reviews
9 helpful votes
7. Re: Relocating to Dallas

I know that a lot of the hotels have parties New Year's Eve - the DFW Marriott on the north side of the airport (and about 5 miles from Flower Mound) will be having a bash. Almost every restaurants and bar will be having some kind of gathering - best bets are to check the www.guidelive.com or www.startime.com - those are the weekender publications of both local daily papers.

I forgot to add my .02 cents on the "bugs." Unless you're out in an area that's literally being developed from the ground up, you're not going to see scorpions. Keep away from flowering plants in the springtime, and you can avoid bees, but they really aren't overwhelming in our area. As for fire ants - we use ChemLawn for regular lawn service, they treat regularly for fire ants, and we have minimal problems. They come out most after it rains, but then you just find their mounds, pour readily available fire ant killer on the mound, and they will go away. Like anywhere, you learn what you're looking for, how to spot early signs, and how to treat it. There is not a Roger Corman movie waiting to happen here because of bug life, I promise!!

McKinney,TX
1 post
1 review
8. Re: Relocating to Dallas

Relocating to Dallas is a very good idea. I just relocated to Mckinney from Houston, TX. There is an awsome school system in Lewisvlle maybe not Dallas. Moving to little towns are good not the inner city. Mckinney is about 30 Min. away from Lewisville. I don't regret my move. I haven't had any problems with bugs or anything . The weather is awsome you get your 4 seasons. I hope I helped you some!!!

Stockholm
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
4 helpful votes
9. Re: Relocating to Dallas

Twi, If it's more money - take the job! We moved to Texas from DC and lived in Addison while working in Richardson. Saved a ton, and as poor as the school systems are rated, we had a fantastic Dallas Public School - and I mean FANTASTIC! My son had teachers, three years in a row that were experienced and dedicated and it shows - he's 17 now and an excellent student. Our neighbors from Addison have moved to Flower Mound and absolutely love the neighborhood and the schools.

The biggest challenge for you will be the heat - get a house with a garage first, pool second. Don't worry about the bugs, there's an entire industry created for bug removal and scorpions and killer bees are not in Dallas (yet).

Last note, I'm from NY and we're just like people from TX - and the people you'll meet in that area are not typically from TX but are mostly friendly. Good luck!

Mesquite, Texas
3 posts
10. Re: Relocating to Dallas

Would love to know what you decided.