We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Irish Tourist

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Irish Tourist

Hi there, we are visiting dallas from northern irelnad next week, staying for five nights. We are not hiring a car and I was wondering what public transport was like?? Would it be feasible to travel around without a car??

Many thanks

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,878 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Irish Tourist

Feasible? Yes

Probable? Maybe

I like to use mass transit but I have learned my way around and it can be done- depending on your schedule. Where are you staying? What do you plan to visit? The following is not meant to discourage you from staying without a car- just be aware of our area's limitations.

You will find other threads about this topic on the Dallas forum. Although the Dallas/FW area has some forms of mass transit, they are directed at working people, not so much tourists and visitors.

That makes the schedules as well as routes a little bit tricky. For example, the main form of public transport is buses. For the most part, they run close to on time and according to schedule but can be a bit uncomfortable to wait in the Texas heat. And in the dark.

DART (Dallas Area Raid Transit- www.dart.org) has light rail and it does run from downtown, south to the zoo and north up to North Park Mall and Mockingbird Station but other visitor stops such as Southfork or Grapevine Mills Mall or the Galleria aren't on the routes. You can get to Fort Worth by train- but not on Sundays and it isn't much use for late night (past 10 PM) visits to FW for eating out or bar hopping or the Stockyards (www.tre.org)

All that said, if you plan to stay downtown, I would make use of the DART light rail- it is convenient for traveling several blocks at a time and going to the Arts District (Dallas Museum of Art for example) and the 6th Floor Museum and the West End. If you want to visit Fort Worth and plan to get back before 9PM, I would definitely take the TRE (driving from Dallas to FW in traffic can be a bit tricky). They run special trains for special events at the AMerican Airlines Center. Once your are in FW, at the Intermodal Center (ITC), you can catch buses or trolleys to the Arts District (Kimbell Museum, Modern Art Museum, National Cowgirls Museum, Amon Carter, etc.) and the Stockyards.

Arlington and Grand Prarie (Ballpark for Texas Rangers baseball, Six Flags , Lone Star Park for horse racing) are not on any mass transit routes- yet! The 2009 Super Bowl may make a big difference- time will tell.

But not in time for a visit next week! Good luck. Please post back and let us know more about your trip and what you decide to do.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,878 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Irish Tourist

oops- for the TRE to Fort Worth it is www.trinityrailwayexpress.org NOT tre.org-sorry

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Irish Tourist

Hi there

thank you very much for that info. it is much apprecitated.

We are staying at the crowne plaza hotel (?central park i think). We hadnt any definite plans made re: sights etc, we were going to wait til we got there but thanks for the suggestions, will defintly visit the museums. read about the grapevine centre on line and that will be a MUST visit!! Hopefully the hotel staff will keep us right.

Many thanks indeed for your comprehensive info! I look forward to visiting Dallas!

4. Re: Irish Tourist

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:25 am, September 02, 2009