We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Health problems in Texas

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
142 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Health problems in Texas

I'm currently in Dallas right now, but I have the worse diarrhea I've ever had in my life.

I arrived here after spending two weeks in Colombia, and I ate food off a Buffett about 9 days ago that I believe has given me really bad food poisoning and for the last 8 days, I've been having 8 diarrhea bowel movements a day with it just being liquid and blood in it. I've took imodium and it hasn't done anything.

I made a mistake as I came here without travel insurance and don't think I can see a doctor in Dallas, is it actually possible, or should I wait until I arrive back into England and go straight to Hospital there, as I heard someone mention I could have

E Coli, but this has lasted 8 days and getting worse.

Any advice on what to do will be very much appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
22 replies to this topic
Dallas
Level Contributor
3,581 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Health problems in Texas

Call Parkland Memorial Hospital ASAP

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,273 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Health problems in Texas

We have lots of Urgent Care facilities that could see you; some may still be open. Not sure what part of Dallas you are in to make a rec.

Parkland is our county hospital. It's difficult to say if that your best option. It's typically free for low income folks who qualify.

A couple of low cost options - https://www.theagapeclinic.org/ or http://questcareclinic.org/

Mentioned in this post
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Dallas
Level Contributor
3,581 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Health problems in Texas

Actually, an Urgent Care facility may be your best bet. If you do head to one, be sure to note the difference between those that are designated "Urgent Care" vs. those designated "ER" The ER ones will typically be more expensive (ER pricing). You can locate facilities by entering "urgent care center near me" into the search box on google maps. The hard part will be finding one open on a Sunday night..

There are also emergency rooms at Baylor, Presbyterian, and Medical Cities hospitals, but going to an ER is going to be expensive.

Sounds unlikely that a plane trip would work with the symptoms you describe. Good luck.

Edited: 9:04 pm, June 10, 2018
Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Health problems in Texas

You are having a GI bleed. Yes, it can be life threatening if you continue to ignore it. Definitely go to an Urgent Care Center ASAP.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
769 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Health problems in Texas

Please don’t get on a plane back to England. That would be extremely dangerous

Lockhart, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Health problems in Texas

You don't really have a choice. It's silly for anyone to try to diagnose something on the Internets, but, as you seem to know, the key information is the duration of all that action, and that takes it out of the realm of plain old Moctezuma's revenge and prompts consideration of things like hemolytic uremic syndrome which is difficult to treat (some therapies make it worse) and some really grim outcomes in kidney failure, like brain damage and the Big-D (not Dallas). E-coli-triggered acute HUS is very popular in South America.

Bite the bullet. Don't wait. Private medical costs are high, but so is acute care international air evacuation, and UK sources cite costs up to £17,000 to ship the remains home.

Doesn't matter much what advice you take. There's a fair chance you're going to be in hospital before long, anyway. How were you thinking you would get back to UK? It doesn't sound like you could make it through the airport.

Mentioned in this post
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
142 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Health problems in Texas

I somehow managed to make it from Bogóta to Dallas on the plane fine, although I very almost did crap myself in Bogotá Airport and it's Thursday until I'm back home in The UK.

Mentioned in this post
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Health problems in Texas

Note that you have to pay at the Urgent Care centers before treatment and it's about $250 for a visit and then top dollar for any tests. If you go there, verify the costs of any tests prior to proceeding. A center labeled Emergency care charges $500 to walk in the door. Of course, those prices may have gone up since I last checked in 2017.

Parkland will charge you standard Parkland rates, if you are not a resident of Dallas County. Do not know whether they try to collect at the time of service, or will issue you a bill. Note that if a bill is issued and you ignore it the lack of payment can be reported to a credit bureau, which may not be a problem for you as a non-resident. If something is prescribed they'll fill it at their pharmacy, again, don't know if they charge you at the time. The emergency room is really busy and they may take hours to be able to see you. If you wait until tomorrow they may have a walk-in clinic that would charge less than the ER.

You could ask a pharmacist what they would recommend OTC. There are several 24-hour pharmacies in Dallas. There's a 24-hour CVS on Mockingbird. If Imodium is not helpful, try Pepto-Bismol. Also, make sure you are taking it as recommended. A lot of people don't take meds correctly and then don't understand why they aren't helping. Another cause of relentless diarrhea could be clostridium difficile, which can be caused by antibiotics, but also requires specific gut-action antibiotic treatment to resolve. My aunt had c diff for almost a year before it was identified and she had symptoms such as you are having.

You should be keeping well-hydrated with electrolyte replacement drinks, and eating a BRAT diet, if possible (banana, rice-white, applesauce, toast).

Blood in stool does NOT necessarily a GI bleed. I was an RN and worked a GI specialty unit. It can be simply irritation of the lining of the colon due to the amounts of fluid and irritation.

You may want to try asking at your hotel whether there is a physician's office they'd recommend for walk-in treatment. My family practice physician allows walk-ins to come to her office at 8:30 and her non-insurance visits were $100 the last time I checked.

Also, if you do obtain a prescription check out Good Rx or a similar prescription drug service for pricing. I saved $75 on a recent prescription and didn't use my standard prescription insurance that would have cost more. Even if it's a $10 savings that's better than $0.

Mentioned in this post
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Health problems in Texas

Another suggestion is to obtain some adult diapers, if you are still having diarrhea, and it's time to fly home. You may still not make it to the toilet on time, but you'll have less of a clothing issue.

Dallas
Level Contributor
3,581 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Health problems in Texas

Hopefully Callum has made a trip to a clinic somewhere, as this could be very, very serious (as 5thGen points out). Many CVS pharmacies have "Minute Clinics" where you can see a doctor or nurse. However, they will not have the lab facilities to accurately diagnoses a specific bacterial infection, which this sounds like. You can see prices on the CVS website (I expect these will vary with circumstances): https:/…price-lists

Reply to: Health problems in Texas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;