We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking in Dallas?

Which Dallas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
midwest
3 posts
Save Topic
Walking in Dallas?

I am traveling for a weekend. I love to walk, but am wondering how safe Dallas is for this. I am thinking of walking from the 6th street museum up Elm street to some restaurants. I figure it might be a mile or two on Elm.

Is this area safe (I am traveling alone and I would probably be walking in daytime).

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,595 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking in Dallas?

You should be safe during the day - downtown is filled with business people. But at night, it's another element.

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking in Dallas?

Perfectly safe during the day. Have made similar jaunts at night, but I'm male and was in a group. I'd take a cab at night. Most of the Dallas crime/violence takes place in seedier areas than downtown, and with scurvy people, but I'd play it safe all the same. Depending on your hotel (I rec. the Magnolia), they may offer a shuttle. Try Monica's Aca Y Alla (if it's still there), or The Green Room.

midwest
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking in Dallas?

thanks for the information!

midwest
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking in Dallas?

thanks for the information!

Dallas
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking in Dallas?

Heather,

Take a pepper spray with you. Day time is ok but night it is pretty deserted unless you are at the West End or Deep Elum. Taxi or bus is the best way. Check out the Dallas World Aquarium downtown. It's pretty cool. You can ride the train to many places too very cheap.

Have Fun!!