We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Flying L in Bandera--Trip Report

Valdez, Alaska
Level Contributor
90 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
The Flying L in Bandera--Trip Report

Our family just held a reunion at the Flying L Ranch and most felt it was a very enjoyable stay. There were a few problems with room reservations at first, but Jean T. straightened those out to our satisfaction.

All of our families, but two, felt the rooms were very spacious, clean & and nicely decorated. One family was placed in room 14, but there was mold in the shower, so they were given a different one. Once the room problems were solved...we all had a great time.

We were provided a room for our private family gatherings and also a DVD player and other supplies needed for our reunion activities. We didn't get the room on the first night, as we had requested, but we had it for the remainder of our stay, and it was large enough for our group of 50 people.

Several of us were disappointed that the waterslide park had not been completed before our arrival; the kids would have especially enjoyed that. However, there were plenty of other activities to keep us busy.

The horseback riding wranglers were fantastic! My daughter was nervous about her first experience on a horse, but Dennis "I Love It !" and Tawney from Alaska went out of their way to make her and all riders feel comfortable & safe. The trails we took were varied each day, and my daughter came away with a new passion for riding. She signed up for the early morning rides each day. On the 3rd day, there were only three in her group, so Dennis gave them a private lesson--instructing them on how to gallop, etc.

Poolside was a great place for us to sit & chat, and the water was clean. The hayrides and s'more were a relaxing way to end the evenings, and the entertainment added a lot to our reunion. The kids especially enjoyed the roping demonstration. Line dancing was fun and Joni was a lively instructor. Even our 82-yr-old great-grandma learned the Electric Slide. Buck has an excellent voice and an entertaining selection of cowboy & country songs. Several in our group played golf on three days and seemed very satisfied with the course.

Good, old-fashioned comfort food was on the buffet-style menu each morning & night and some of us probably gained several pounds. Mark, the cook, even served up some of his mother's delicious recipes. The bar was open for Happy Hour each day, and Kym, the barmaid has to be commended for her ever present smile & patience with our large group.

A trip into the tiny town of Banderas was well worth it. The shops are quaint, and our favorite was Sassafraz & All that Jazz--on a side street. Lunch was excellent at the Fool Moon Cafe; the owners were very friendy & the Chicken Salad Sandwich was delicious.

When we checked out of the Flying L, there were some concerns about a $90. charge that was added to our bills. Jean explained that those were bed taxes, etc., but some in our group would have appreciated knowing about the charge prior to making reservations.

Overall, the Flying L was a great place for our family reunion. We enjoyed making connections with each other again in the beautiful Hill Country of Texas.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,508 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Flying L in Bandera--Trip Report

Thanks for the trip report. Us locals rarely have the opportunity to stay at nearby establishments. Your review is very helpful.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Flying L in Bandera--Trip Report

Thanks for the trip report. I never been there, it is nice to know there is such a great place in our Hill country. I will keep that in mind when I family comes to town and looking for a nice place to stay. Thanks again for the info.

3. Re: The Flying L in Bandera--Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, September 02, 2009