We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anything going on first week of June?

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
143 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Anything going on first week of June?

Hi, we are planning our sixth trip to Townsend in June. We have booked a cabin at dogwoodcabins.com and we love to stay local. We have done Cades Cove, SMNP, tail of the dragon, attended Old Timers festival and the craft loop in Gatlinburg. We are looking for some new ideas. We love taking walks and going to new and old favorite restaurants. As I said, we are quiet, low-key travelers but would love to try something new in the area. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Can't wait til June!!!

Maryville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
185 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anything going on first week of June?

You could take the roughly one hour drive into downtown Knoxville or Visit the galleries at Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts in Gatlinburg. Do you hike?

Edited: 11:35 pm, May 03, 2013
Maryville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
185 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anything going on first week of June?

You could take the roughly one hour drive into downtown Knoxville or Visit the galleries at Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts in Gatlinburg.

Do you hike?

Also the Cuban resturant in Townsend is good and there are some cute shops around it.

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
143 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anything going on first week of June?

No, we are not hikers but we love to walk...that is why Townsend is perfect for us. Have not tried the Cuban restaurant but have read the reviews so maybe we will give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion of the school of arts and crafts in Gatlinburg...that sound like something we would enjoy. Thanks again...4 more weeks....can't wait!!!

Townsend, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Townsend, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
966 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anything going on first week of June?

Friday nights: Pickin' on the porch at the dulcimer shop (free); Smoky Mountain Heritage Center summer concert series ($5) - both start at 7 pm - bring a folding chair for both; Pottery Festival at Visitor Center and that is the week the synchronous fireflies are predicted to peak at Elkmont.

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
143 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anything going on first week of June?

Thanks tnoutdrsmn for the info...I have heard of the synchronous fireflies and it sounds fascinating. I think I read that there is a shuttle from Elkmont that takes people back and forth....I'll have to get more info. Thanks again!

Townsend, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Townsend, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
966 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anything going on first week of June?

The Great Smoky Mountain Heritage Center (in Townsend) is also offering shuttles (with reservations) to view the fireflys at Elkmont. And I think the local Firefly cafe is offering something as well - check with them for options. Either would be less of a crowd than the shuttle from Sugarlands Visitor Center near Gatlinburg.

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
143 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anything going on first week of June?

Thanks very much, we will do that. It will definitely be more convenient to park in Townsend and go from there. I had gone on line and found that all the parking passes at Sugarlands had been sold out. I will call or email the Heritage Center to make a reservation. Thanks again for the info! :-)

8. Re: Anything going on first week of June?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 pm, August 13, 2014