We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where was the filming of the movie Christy?

Alabama
Level Contributor
76 posts
28 reviews
14 helpful votes
Where was the filming of the movie Christy?

Does anyone know where the area is and how to get there, where they filmed the movie series Christy?

right over your...
Level Contributor
962 posts
1. Re: Where was the filming of the movie Christy?

Why is ChristyFest™ held in Townsend?

The entire Christy TV series, with the exception of one episode, was filmed on location in Townsend, Tennessee and in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Surrounded by the beauty of the mountains that have come to symbolize Christy, Townsend is a quiet town which blends beauty and amenities to make for an enjoyable stay.

What film sites are easily accessible?

One episode, Echoes, was partly filmed at the Museum of Appalachia which has a modest display of memorabilia from the filming of Christy as well as the log structures used in the filming which are of special interest to Christy fans. Also, located on the Foothills Parkway, north of Townsend is the Look Rock Observation Area where a number of scenes were filmed. Near the parking lot for the observation tower, you can visit Look Rock which was filmed as "God's Fist" in the episode, The Hunt. Additionally, the Pilot, Lost and Found, and other segments of episodes were also filmed in and around this area. However, if venturing into this area we caution visitors to adhere to park rules, wear suitable clothing and stay on the trails.

http://www.christyfest.org/info.htm

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,184 posts
28 reviews
19 helpful votes
2. Re: Where was the filming of the movie Christy?

Who was Christy?

right over your...
Level Contributor
962 posts
3. Re: Where was the filming of the movie Christy?

Christy is a brief family television series drama which aired on CBS from April 1994 to August 1995, for twenty episodes.

Christy gained small note among family viewers for its general wholesomeness. Christy was based on the novel Christy by Catherine Marshall, the widow of Senate chaplain Peter Marshall. The novel had been a bestseller in 1968, and the week following the debut of the TV-movie and program saw the novel jump from #120 up to #15 on the USA Today bestseller list.[1]

It could be seen as in the vein or genre of Little House on the Prairie or Road to Avonlea, as a period piece about a young female teacher in a rural community. However, it was not as successful in ratings as either of those shows and ended after just two seasons. Series regular Tyne Daly won an Emmy Award for her work on the series; the series was also noted for ending in a cliffhanger and having a loyal following on family-oriented channels in syndication. Episodes later were released on VHS-format videotapes. In 2007 the episodes became available on DVD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christy_(TV_series)

Brunson
Level Contributor
305 posts
1 review
3 helpful votes
4. Re: Where was the filming of the movie Christy?

I was 11 years old when the brief series started and I would get so upset when I couldn't watch a show. I had several of the episodes on VHS and I received the entire series on DVD a couple years ago for Christmas. What a wondeful experience it has been to watch these as an adult now and be able to see all of them. I have been wanting to come to Christy Fest for a couple years now, but as a farmer and working in the agriculture field, that doesn't leave me any time to go to Townsend to enjoy it. My husband and I go to the Smokies every year between Oct and Nov and we like to watch the 'movies' prior to coming and then pick out places that parts of the series were filmed at. Has anyone on here been to Christy Fest?

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,184 posts
28 reviews
19 helpful votes
5. Re: Where was the filming of the movie Christy?

I thank you both for responding so quickly. I had no idea who she was. at first, I wondered if she was the gospel singer Christy Lane. Then I was curious as to if she was actually a fictional or real person. So I thank both of you for clearing this up.

Ray

6. Re: Where was the filming of the movie Christy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 10, 2010