We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Restaurant around?

Which Townsend hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Evansville, Indiana
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Great Restaurant around?

My fiancee and I are going to spend our honeymoon in townsend in timberwind cabins, and we really want to know what one of the best restaurants there is to eat at within an hour's drive. it is our first "family" meal, so any suggestions would help! ps-we have not a clue about the area, so you are welcome to be specific!

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
396 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Restaurant around?

There's not much in Townsend to choose from. I know there are a couple of newer places but I haven't tried them yet. Your best bet is something in Gatlinburg. If you want the best steak in Gatlinburg go to The Peddler on the upper end of River Rd but call ahead for seating and ask for a table overlooking the river. There's also The Park Grill, Calhoun's and Maxwell's. I understand one of my longtime favorites, Howard's, has moved and is now farther up the Parkway. Porbably the closest dining to you would be back in Maryville (locals pronounce it Murville). But don't expect much there either except chain restaurants. If you like barbecue there's a Sonny's there that has excellent ribs, pork, chicken and the best baked beans ever all at very reasonable prices.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
84 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Restaurant around?

We always stay in Townsend when we go to the Smokies. We have always been pleased with Timbers. They have good steaks, fried chicken, etc. They also serve alcohol if you drink. We also liked Back Porch, but they don't serve alcohol. They said you can bring your own, which is a little weird, but the food was good. We had the ribs. Both restaurants are on the main drag, Hwy 321 (if I remember correctly)

The Carriage House has good breakfast, but have never eaten dinner there.

Also, if you like pizza, Ann's pizza has great pizza. It's just a little diner, nothing fancy, I wouldn't spend your first dinner there as a family, but you could get a carryout for a late night snack. :) Don't eat breakfast there though, it was terrible.

Hope that helps a little, have fun!!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Restaurant around?

Which cabin at Timberwinds are you staying at? And what month?

Somewhere on Earth...
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Restaurant around?

matalove,

St.Louisblueslover gave you good advice on restaurants. We have ate Sunday lunch with my parents at Carriage House. They love it and go often. To my wife and I it was okay.

And.........

"Porbably the closest dining to you would be back in Maryville (locals pronounce it Murville)"

And, sorry but NO, it's not pronounced Murville. Being from ALA and southern I would have thought you would know it is pronounced like Mareville. <lol> You don't sound out the "Y".

I think I know - I grew up in "Mareville."

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
396 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Restaurant around?

CGSHOT-

Actually I spent the first 24 years of my life about 10 miles from Murville, shopped there, had friends there, even spent time at the local college during the summers and know how it's pronounced.

Somewhere on Earth...
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great Restaurant around?

All I can say matalove is if you happen in to Maryville, don't pronounce the "Y" and don't use "Mur". It's a dead giveaway you're not from the area and people might ask where you are from.

Now back to my Jamaica forum................

georgia
Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great Restaurant around?

Timbers is the best in Townsend. It's not too far to Pigeon forge from Townsend--get on 321 and visit the Old Mill for breakfast---it's great (you can find anything you want to eat in Pigeon Forge) . . I love Townsend because it is quieter and less busy. They have a Pizza Hut and Subway now which is good for lunch or late pizza runs . . .

Knoxville, TN
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great Restaurant around?

Tatsebuds Cafe is in Wears Valley and has an award winning chef. I highly recommend it. It's on Wears Valley road and is only 30 minutes from Timberwinds. You need to make reservations in advance...here's the website www.tastebudscafe.com. Have a great trip!

Detroit, MI
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Great Restaurant around?

Glad to find this question on the board. I'll be going down to that area soon as well. Any info on places to eat (or not eat!) is great. Glad I logged on here to capitalize on your request for info.

Detroit, MI
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Great Restaurant around?

Glad to find this question on the board. I'll be going down to that area soon as well. Any info on places to eat (or not eat!) is great. Glad I logged on here to capitalize on your request for info.