We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sliding Rock-Smokiesgirl??

Which Townsend hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
251 reviews
Save Topic
Sliding Rock-Smokiesgirl??

Hi-I had come across your recommendation for Sliding Rock and it sounds like something we'd like to try. I had posted a query about a day trip into NC on the Gatlinburg forum (since it seems to get more replies). We're planning on a day trip to NC to see some waterfalls and maybe hit Cherokee and Maggie Valley but I don't want to go too far into NC due to time constraints.

How far, regarding time to travel, would you say Sliding Rock is from Townsend and/or Cherokee or Maggie Valley? I looked up some info on it online but just can't seem to get a good feel of how far it really is.

BTW-I have several relatives in the Cincy area and miss my trips there. My aunt and uncle are still there and they also love coming to the Smokies for vacations.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Sliding Rock-Smokiesgirl??

Thanks doggy1-have added Chimneys Top to my saved list!

I just received a booklet from Haywood County NC that has a great map showing Sliding Rock so I feel much more orientated now.

My main problem now is how to fit in everything we want to do into 3 days!!!!

Asheboro, N.C.
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Sliding Rock-Smokiesgirl??

Sliding Rock is fantastic. I have had some of the best fun in my life there. They have a nice changing area for you to get out of your wet clothes. DO NOT wear a regular swim suit. Wear cut off jeans or jean shorts. My kids love to go there and the hatchery. We all love both of them. The fish will jump clear out of the water to get the fish food. Take lots of quarters for the fish food machines. They also have a short film you can watch for free on the area. It is located in the back of the gift shop. We usually go and stay in Brevard one night when we go to the rock or drive back to Maggie valley and stay at the Mountain Lodge.

13. Re: Sliding Rock-Smokiesgirl??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 pm, August 20, 2009