We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be wary, possible scamming

Which Sevierville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tennessee
Level Contributor
170 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Be wary, possible scamming

Just thought I would let people know about our experience at the Apple Barn parking lot. We were approached by a girl who said she was out of gas and left her wallet at home and could we spare some cash. We declined, and we watched her wandering around approaching more people. She had a cell phone in her hand, if this was legit, call someone. It is such a touristy area, that I am sure she could get quite a bit of money there. Something similar to this happened to some friends of ours elsewhere. Similar story, but the man asked if he could have a ride to an ATM because he had no cash and only an ATM card. He also told them he worked in the restaurant across the street from where they were so not to worry cause they knew him. Uh... then go there and have someone help you. Be careful everyone. You never know. If you pull out your wallet, they could snatch it and run. Just thought I'd share.

unionville tenn.
Level Contributor
845 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Be wary, possible scamming

I hate to hear this. I have to say we have gone to the Smokeys for years and have always felt very safe there. Unfortunely panhandlers and crime are on the rise everywhere and I hope the local law enforcement will do all they can so that we visitors will continue to feel safe. I was happy to see that they have gotten the timeshare people under control, so hopefully they will keep an eye out for the panhandlers and get that taken care of too. Thanks for the warning!

2. Re: Be wary, possible scamming

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 18, 2014