We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vacation ideas, things off the beaten path? local eateries?

Pennsville, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
vacation ideas, things off the beaten path? local eateries?

Hi, I will be vacationing in Seveiville in late August, I am looking for things to do , also local eateries. I will be going to Dolly park, after that who knows. Will be traveling with adults and teenagers. I want to go Ziplining , just wondering who's good, google some of them and had bad reviews. also I am looking to do a cave tour , but would prefer a cheap one (some are so expensive),

Townsend, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Townsend, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
966 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vacation ideas, things off the beaten path? local eateries?

Arts and Crafts loop near Gatlinburg, Sight see through Wears Valley between Pigeon Forge and Townsend - look for Monshine Ridge Country store, also a newly remodeled road side eatery another 1/2 mile past Moonshine Ridge for burgers or wings - overlooking a nice waterfall. Get an early start to Cades Cove, make the loop and double back across on Hyatt Lane - exit Rich Mountain road into Townsend, see Tuckaleechee Caverns, then a tubing float trip on the little River. Take a picnic to the local swimming hole at the Y. In August a nice way to stay cool. Also in August, heading up to the higher elevations of the Park - Clingman's dome and Newfound Gap - offers some slightly cooler temps.

Pennsville, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vacation ideas, things off the beaten path? local eateries?

thank you , looks good

Pennsville, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vacation ideas, things off the beaten path? local eateries?

thank you

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vacation ideas, things off the beaten path? local eateries?

While in Pigeon Forge you must eat at Huck Finn's, all the catfish you can eat or chicken EXCELLENT vittles as well and Ice tea.....mmmmmmmm! Also the Old Mill is also Excellent, you will not regret these two places in Pigeon Forge......I am going back 4th of July myself....Can't wait

Edited: 6:14 pm, June 07, 2013
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: vacation ideas, things off the beaten path? local eateries?

FYI If you are looking for a great place to stay, try Westgate Gatlinburg in the Smokies.....We went there 9 years ago and liked it so much we bought every other year then continued to upgrade and now I own a three bedroom unit which we use annually for vacations for the family. It is Sooo nice up there not to mention the staff whom I find excellent and caring. We went up year and daughter in law and son went and they wanted a rocking chair so my grandson could be fed (much easier when feeding I'm told) . Any way, the front desk searched around and found one and delivered it to our room......Fantastic service, so again WE LOVE iT THERE.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: vacation ideas, things off the beaten path? local eateries?

Not necessarily an eatery, but , a great resort for all to check out.....Westgate Gatlinburg.......We haved owned and used our timeshare for the past nine years and really love the resort. The resort does have a restaurant on property which we have eaten at a time or two, good food and service and reasonable. Hope this helps anyone looking for a place to visit and stay. Oh, I get nothing for recommending this place. I just like it so much. Thanks Westgate Smokie Mountain Resort for being there.

7. Re: vacation ideas, things off the beaten path? local eateries?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, June 09, 2014