We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware timber Tops!

Manchester...
Level Contributor
81 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Beware timber Tops!

This was the first trip we had taken due to the economic situation in two years and so we were really looking forward to it and we had rented with Timber tops before and felt safe going back with them even though they are very expensive. When I called to make my original reservation, I spoke with Barbara. I explained we were just happy to be getting away again and that it didn't matter if we were in gatlinburg or pigeon forge as long as it was nice with a view. At the time there were several to chose from. Eagles crest and legacy mountain resorts were suggested because where I wanted to stay, either hidden springs or crest view were taken due to a car show. When I asked about this "car show" I was told it wasn't a big deal and shouldn't interfere with our vacation. I asked her opinion of both resorts and she said they were both nice and away from the car show. I chose Pure gold at first because of it's view although she kept pushing wonderlodge that is listed as a 2 bedroom deluxe plus and pure gold a one bedroon with a bonus bed in the game loft. We took pure gold because we thought if we brought our mother in law she would have a place to sleep for the price of a one bedroom. After arriving and our neighbor inviting us into their cabins, one of which was pure gold, we found that they were the same size. one bedroom downstairs and a bonus bed in the loft. Well guess what...so was ours and yet we had to pay 50.00 extra to stay in wonderlodge for what I thought was a 2 bedroom as it stated but it wasn't. It is a 1 bedroom with a bonus bed in the loft. VERY DECEIVING.

But I digress...before we got there I was almost calling them every day because I was doing my own research on this car show and found out it was the largest of all car shows in that area and most people told me there would be no sight seeing or moving around during this time, but when I walked to tImbertops, they told me it wouldn't be a problem, they could get us around the back ways. Around the backways Yes, but to no attractions or restaurants...it was packed!

The reason I am angry is because we could have stayed somewhere else either in gatlinburg, wears valley or any number of other resorts with more amenities if we had known this from the beginning, but when I called to tell them this was not what we wanted, these other places were no longer available and we had already prepaid. We could have even gone the following week and yes I brought up all these options in the beginning, but was told everything would be fine and we would not get trapped in our cabin. WeLL we got stuck alright. We were able to get out one day during our 4 day stay and after that we were trapped in our cabin. I am disappointed in the deception, about the car show, the lack of trying to make it right once I confronted them with it, and the fact that they charged us an additional charge to move 4 cabins down for a 2 bedroom that ended up being a one bedroom with a bonus bed in the loft that I couldn't sleep in because I couldn't carry my dog up and down the narrow spiral staircase to potty without killing us both and so I either slept in the recliner or on the rollaway sofa which was like sleeping on pure metal (I certainly couldn't expect my 76 year old mother in law to give up her bedroom and climb the death stairs). We were trapped in that cabin with only a lopsided pool table and a mildewed hot tub for 4 days! As much as I had longed for a trip away, I was ready to leave after day 2. I will never trust them again and in the future if I feel bad about a situation, I will not believe the staff, but trust myself.

Timbertops: why did you lie to me about the car show/hot rod show? Why did you tell me you were moving me to a 2 bedroom at wonderlodge, charge me extra and it be the same exact cabin we had before? why didn't you allow me to change to another area when you knew I knew we would be trapped? Under those circumstances you could have refunded our money admitted the mistake and allowed us to chose another place more accommodating where we could have enjoyed our first trip anywhere in 2 years? I would have respected and appreciated you then. My first clue should have been when Barbara kept going out of the building to talk to me.....hhhhhmmmm

I'm sure you won't respond nor make amends for this deception Timbertops, so I'm just going to try and help other travelers be more wary and encourage them to do their own homework before settling.

Very depressed, unrested, and disappointed

Robi G. Romano

Arrival Sept 16

Bartlett, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware timber Tops!

Oh my I am very sorry about your experience with Timber Tops and I remember talking to you about it.We have stayed with them a few times and never had any problems with them what so ever.The last cabin we rented from them was in Gatlinburg called Always a View and it was a beautiful chalet that had a awesome mountaind and Gatlinburg City view.I would just call them back and talk to them they may not see this post.I know the owner of Timber Tops and he is very nice and seems like a caring man.

Im sorry you had some problems but I do hope you will be able to return to the area again but maybe stay somewhere else.I would check out some of the cabins in Gatlinburg and Cobbly Nob maybe next time.I hope this doesnt keep you from coming back to the area.

Manchester...
Level Contributor
81 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware timber Tops!

I remember talking to you and others. I should have went with my gut instinct as soon as I found out how BIG the hot rod show was and demanded to be moved to a more appropriate location or refunded. Especially after being told it wasn't a big deal....but my bad...live and learn. It's just my nature to trust people. We got out the one day to go zip lining and that was a blast, other than that, I just felt like our first opportunity in a while to get away was just wasted. I know some people go there to just stay in their cabins and relax, but we didn't and I let them know that up front. I feel really sad about the whole thing because there are so many other cabin places we could have gone with that were much cheaper and in the same areas, but I went with Timber tops because I had a good experience with them before and felt safe trusting them to do right by us again.

I did talk to other employees other than my original person, especially after I started doubting her, but they all said the same thing....we would be able to get out and about and wouldn't get stuck in the cabin, but what are they going to say especially when the customer has already pre-paid in full and there are no other options? I've been to sevierville before when the traffic was bad, which is why we plan our trips up there in the off season and have definately stayed away during any big events. I even told them we could come the next week...this week which would have been much better after the car show, but I was assured it was no big deal....that's why I'm so heart broken over the situation. This whole thing could have been avoided with just a little honesty up front. Sorry to vent. Still upset about it. Thank you for caring.

Robi

Manchester...
Level Contributor
81 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware timber Tops!

Just to update. Timbertops did respond to my review and disappointment and have tried to make things right by refunding our entire visit. I appreciate the help and feel better knowing that they at least read their reviews and do try to make things right.

I thought I would never consider using them again, but after this, I would. I feel like

I should have been more assertive myself when I first felt like something was wrong. You can't just put the happiness of your vacation into someone elses hands. You have to speak up and be heard before things go bad and I'll know that in the future.

I just wanted to state for the record that Timbertops did do what they could to make things right and for that I am grateful.

I would use them again.

Bartlett, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware timber Tops!

Im glad to hear that.We love Timber Tops and never had a problem with them and we will use them again.I think they have always had great customer service and beautiful cabins too.

This is good news.I hope you plan on using them again but I would make sure there isnt no major events happening in the area first before you booked.Thanks for letting us know.

sevierville/ pigeon...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware timber Tops!

Sorry to hear about your experience! Be glad you weren't one of the people camped out in their parking lot during Christmas/ New Years who were booked in cabins on a private mountain road that is not maintained by the county and is clearly labeled "You will need 4WD / chains in winter", with nearly 10 inches of snow and ice, who were not advised of the treacherous conditions ahead of time. Those who tried to make it to their rentals, some in normal 2WD cars, were stuck, sliding, in ditches, and off embankments to the point that the road was then blocked, even to residents and those in capable vehicles for hours in frigid weather, late into the night. A sad view of our winter wonderland for visitors, and a nightmare for the residents as well. Someone cold have been hurt. The one bright spot in the entire ordeal was the jovial guy from Timber Tops who was stationed at the bottom of the mountain to inform people who own property and live here as well as guests, reguardless of what they were driving because 20 cars later it's a concern, that they were not "allowed" up due to the aforementioned chaos. He kept a great attitude and a cheerful, humorous demeanor in the face of some very tired, angry, frustrated, frozen people the entire time! Nice job, superstar! But maybe instead of being so worried about losing a sale, they could have let people know what the mountain was like before their safety was put at risk, their office is, after all right at the bottom, maybe even offered guests a ride up in one of their 4WDs. Southern hospitality, just a thought Timber Tops. Some of us would like visitors to leave with a positive impression of our home and our people, not traumatized. Some of us would also like to be able to get home from the grocery store without that kind of drama, and we have that right, we actually own homes here.

6. Re: Beware timber Tops!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:26 am, July 05, 2011